Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Martini Henry bayonet markings question

Article about: I have a Martini Henry Bayonet that I need help with deciphering the markings. Especially the stamped “R” and some of the other stamps on the blade. I also was wondering about some marki

Default Martini Henry bayonet markings question

I have a Martini Henry Bayonet that I need help with deciphering the markings. Especially the stamped “R” and some of the other stamps on the blade. I also was wondering about some markings on the sheath.Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Martini Henry bayonet markings question   Martini Henry bayonet markings question  

Martini Henry bayonet markings question  

?

All I can really make out is Enfield Inspection stamps in all photos.
    Cheers Rick

?

Kyle,

Cant help with the R but the lined out 73 something will be a rack number, broad arrow over WD is the war department govt acceptance, crown over E over number is the Enfield inspector mark, the marking that looks like /89 indicates a rework in 1889 and what looks like 2'90 is probably a rework in Feb 1890. 581 on the scabbard will be a rack number.

Alex

Yes. several Enfield inspector marks, the number below is the inspector's code not a year. The "R" may mean "Reserve". That might explain the crossed out weapon number.