Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MAS 36 Bayonet Marking Question

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased this MAS 36 bayonet and has the marking 00 on the end. I was wondering what that marking means. Any help is much appreciated.

Default MAS 36 Bayonet Marking Question

Hello, I recently purchased this MAS 36 bayonet and has the marking 00 on the end. I was wondering what that marking means. Any help is much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MAS 36 Bayonet Marking Question   MAS 36 Bayonet Marking Question  

?

Normally there should be serial number on handle. About 00 on end cap i dont known what it means.

I don't know what it means either, but I have one that is similar. There is no serial number on the bayonet, but there is a number on the end cap. The number on mine is either "68" or "89" depending on which way I turn it. The bayonet came on a MAS 36 rifle dated 1947, imported into the USA by Century Arms. The serial on the rifle is N67418, so the number on the bayonet is not the last digits of the rifle serial number.

?

Early production was fully serialed, but as mentioned this could be a last 2 digits of later production piece, not visible details but the handle looks like got some rust, which was cleaned later.

Okay this is what I think is correct for the MAS36
    MAS36 production: 1937 to June22,1940 (armistice)
    Production 1944 to 1952 (or 1957 for some variants)
    If they have a letter & full serial on the shank they are pre-war (letter agrees with rifle series)
    Numbers on the end cap are the last two numbers on the rifle’s serial number
    If they have a 2digit end cap after May/June 1940 stoved finish. (painted and baked in an oven) This applies to J&K series rifles
    If they have a 2digit end cap and after 1944 phosphate or bronzed finish.
    I cannot find when bayonets were no longer marked on the cap but probably post 1951
    If they have no marks (sterile) post 1951
    They may also have a letter on the shank below the flutes indicating subcontractors. Mine has “K” which is = Société Ame des Etablissements Charpentier .
    Release hole was made according to a directive dated 20/11/1951, ALL of the above might have a release hole due to refurbishment.