Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My Personal War Souvenirs

Article about: The course and result of the war are self evident of the poor performance of much of the Argentine military-hardly a surprise given that the only 'military experience' that the armed forces

Has to be remembered the Argentine army hadn't seen active service against another country for a century or so at the time-many armies tried machete type bayos over the years but they were never very popular with the troops, being too unwieldly as a bayo and too small and short to be useful as a panga.

Here are pictures of another "Machete de Artillería Modelo 1909".

As already mentioned here in the thread, still used on the "Malvina´s", (Islas Malvinas) / (Falkland Islands) in the Falkland War by Argentine soldiers.

The "rarer variant" of the fascine knife itself is (at least !), the version of this "machete" produced in Argentina!

The fact that the Weyersberg production is "qualitatively" "above" that of the Argentine can be seen from the riveting of the handle scales alone if you compare the two models (Weyersberg "First Model", "Suarez", "2nd Model").

The "Suarez-Machete" is not nearly as stamped as the one made by Weyersberg.

The fascine knife is marked on the "inside" with the Argentine national coat of arms, (Escudo Nacional Argentino), underneath, with E-A (Ejército Argentino)

The machete is marked on the "outside" of the blade:
    INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA and J.C. SUAREZ Y Cia.

The number 97 painted on the scabbard could be a "rack number", unfortunately this is no longer visible because I cleaned the machete from time to time.

This is a very heavily used M1909 machete which has not been "cherished" and "cared for" in any arsenal.
    My Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War Souvenirs

2.):
    My Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War Souvenirs

3.):
    My Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War Souvenirs

Here is another "Suarez" which I received today.
    Also included is a green "frog" which is unstamped.

Edged weapons such as bayonets and machetes that were "officially" eliminated from the Argentine army usually had the national coat of arms ground out of the blade.

That's why I'm always very happy when I find a "Suarez" on which the national coat of arms is still intact.
    My Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War Souvenirs

PS:
    It looks like the scabbard has been painted matte black over the bluing for camouflage.
    My Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War SouvenirsMy Personal War Souvenirs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4