MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication

Article about: Hi all! A friend of mine has the opportunity to purchase this Baker rifle bayo! Unfortunately he sought me out for help, and this is not my era haha Any comments or assistance in authenticat

Default Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication

Hi all! A friend of mine has the opportunity to purchase this Baker rifle bayo! Unfortunately he sought me out for help, and this is not my era haha

Any comments or assistance in authenticating this would be very appreciated.
    It is Crown/19 inspection mark, and maker is DAWE. The hilt seems very clean and no patina so I'm concerned about that area most. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication   Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication  

Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication   Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication  

Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication   Napoleonic era Baker rifle bayo authentication  

The maker is Dawes of Birmingham. It has a Board of Ordinance mark on the blade. An interesting bayonet, but worth more if it comes with the leather scabbard. These often are sold with highly polished hilts, so this one looks more authentic.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The maker is Dawes of Birmingham. It has a Board of Ordinance mark on the blade. An interesting bayonet, but worth more if it comes with the leather scabbard. These often are sold with highly polished hilts, so this one looks more authentic.
    Thank you Anderson! The opinions seem mixed as I also uploaded to a bayo group with 7000 members and the mod said cheap fake to his eyes. I've done quite a few searches/compares and cannot find another in similar condition.

I'm definitely perplexed and hope more can chime in so I can share a concrete consensus with my friend!

I would say authentic. They were made by different contractors so finishing can vary and bayonets of the early 1800's can look fairly rustic. But looks like someone has painted the hilt with gold paint. A full length photo of the blade would be useful.