Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is the regimental Stamp a fake?

Article about: Good day! The French bayonet, converted to M1888, has regimental markings. However, the location of the marking and the nature of the execution raise doubts about the authenticity. Is such a

?

Default Is the regimental Stamp a fake?

Good day!
    The French bayonet, converted to M1888, has regimental markings. However, the location of the marking and the nature of the execution raise doubts about the authenticity. Is such an inscription possible – or is it a modern forgery?

I see what you mean Dmir. The numbers and letter "R" look modern, not like the classical roman style seen on Imperial bayonets. And also numbers are uniform size, the last two for weapon number, should be smaller size, and "102" for regiment and "6" for companie, larger. Also for a German capture bayonet I'm surprised the scabbard was not modified by fitting a German frog stud. This is the French frog attachment. Some extra photos would be interesting, but if me , I think I'd pass on it.

?

The size of the letter "R" and the numbers meet the requirements of 1897, 1909.
    Regimental stamps are filled in crookedly, after "R" does not end. That's the first argument. The second argument: the regimental mark is located outside.
    The second argument is important. But maybe someone knows the exception to this rule?

?

New photo.

Can't say I've read the "requirements of 1897, 1907". My comments are based on observed examples of the 1880's to 1918 period.
    There should be a "full stop" (period for US readers) after both "R." and the last number "51."
    As I said before, the font style doesn't look right for the period. Crooked stamping is less important than wrong font size and style. Not one for me.

?

That is very cool. Sorry I cant help with the regimental markings or if they are correct.
    But I have a fondness for this type of conversion. I want to add one to my collection to go with my Commission 88. I wasn't looking until somebody gave me this pic because I have the Landwehr Baden Haube.
    If you look at the right aside of the Baden soldat you will see why I now have an interest in this type conversion.

Would it be possible to see the whole thing. Including a pic of the mortise slot?
    Click to enlarge
    LIR 40 ,Ers Btln ,4 Komp.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Can't say I've read the "requirements of 1897, 1907". My comments are based on observed examples of the 1880's to 1918 period.
    There should be a "full stop" (period for US readers) after both "R." and the last number "51."
    As I said before, the font style doesn't look right for the period. Crooked stamping is less important than wrong font size and style. Not one for me.
    Here is a fragment the regulation on...-1897.

The size of the inscription on the bayonet in the photo.
    Is the regimental Stamp a fake?Is the regimental Stamp a fake?Is the regimental Stamp a fake?

?

Photo stamps other bayonets. There is a size difference. But these stamps are normal.

Is the regimental Stamp a fake?Is the regimental Stamp a fake?

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is very cool. Sorry I cant help with the regimental markings or if they are correct.
    But I have fondness for this type of conversion. I want to add one to my collection to go with my Commission 88. I wasn't looking until somebody gave me this pic because I have the Landwehr Baden Haube.
    If you look at the right aside of the Baden soldat you will see why I now have an interest in this type conversion.

Would it be possible to see the whole thing. Including a pic of the mortise slot?
    Click to enlarge
    LIR 40 ,Ers Btln ,4 Komp.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Great photo. Remade bayonet visible. Here is the bayonet presented.

?

Met bayonet with this stamp. What opinion - a normal regimental stamp or a fake?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast