Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Remaking the Gras bayonet for the M1888 rifle?

Article about: Good evening! Please help me identify the Gra bayonet – is it a rework for another rifle? Or something else? These are the only photos so far. The size is standard for Gra.

?

Default Remaking the Gras bayonet for the M1888 rifle?

Good evening!
    Please help me identify the Gra bayonet – is it a rework for another rifle? Or something else? These are the only photos so far. The size is standard for Gra.

?

I dont see the barell ring backside, but normally Gras converted to G71/88 should have drilled out material of crosspiece or moved the locking nut backside, as the locking dimmension of G88 is 101mm. You should measure a distance between back of crossguard and start of locking nut in pommel. It could be for other rifle too, there is a strange step on back of removed material of spine of pommel?

?

The lack of a modified ring and mounting on the handle is unclear to me. The handle was cut off. A fragment of the reference book with this handle is shown. But the page under the photo indicates that this is a controversial option.Remaking the Gras bayonet for the M1888 rifle?

?

Yes the lower one is upgrade for G71/88, the piece that You presented, is possible problematic, it could be cutted down the pommel to bring it to other rifle? or increase value as german adopted bayonets are more worth as normal Gras74, when You looks at brass rifle slot inside and pommel there are detetoriating of material, rust on metall parts, the cutting area is shiny, strange it was added later certainly. In the lock area there is a small step as someone proofed add to rifle, but wout success probably. This conversion could be not added on G71/88 rifle when the locking lenght is smaller as 101mm. Other point it could be used as Sidearm anyway the cutt was then not needed. I assume the book is of Ch.Mery, or other french author, problem after printing the R.Williams book, there are some fakes in the catalog unfortunally and some people from that time already produced many other problematic "refurbished bayonets" visible on various forums in last 2 decades.

?

I don't have all the size data yet. But it seems that this is a modern alteration to increase the cost of the bayonet. In recent times we are often faced with modern alterations.

?

Here is the data: the length of the lock is 91 mm.

?

Thanks i assume the locking lenght is typical for Chassepot and Gras rifles, Vetterli Vitalli has 90mm locking lenght.

?

Thank you for the discussion. As a conclusion – the bayonet is not for the m1888 rifle. This is probably a modern rework to increase the cost of the Gra bayonet.