Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SA80 Bayonet

Article about: Thought i would show a SA80 bayonet as not sure if one has been shown before i will mostly put one up for sale as i have a couple Annoyed from this ads?  

?

I was unaware there was a civilian commercial version of these. Whats the difference between the civilian and issued version?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    I was unaware there was a civilian commercial version of these. Whats the difference between the civilian and issued version?
    There are actually commercial bayonets of the model L3A1.

These stand out due to the weaker material of the sheath, the wire cutter device and other small parts, such as the small hook for locking the saw in place, as well as the weaker material of the saw itself.

However, my "slimmed down version" as I call the bayonet without the wire cutter device, without the saw and without the grinding stone, is an official piece of equipment in the British Army in certain units and functions, as has already been mentioned here in the thread.

?

So the differences are just in the scabbard and not the bayonet?

Hi, Alex,

A few years ago I had such a "civilian" version of an L3A1 bayonet.
    The workmanship and quality of the scabbard was really very "poor" and should probably not have withstood any major stresses in use.

The "nose" for locking the saw broke off immediately when I unfolded the saw...
    The quality of the saw also seemed to leave a lot to be desired.

I wouldn't have dared to insert the bayonet into the wire cutter device either because I was afraid of breaking off the seemingly weak shear stop.

The bayonet, on the other hand, seemed to me to have been very solid and robust.
    I can remember that the company logo of the importer of the bayonet was lasered (etched?) on one side of the blade.
    This was probably MFH (Herbertz?).

As far as I can remember, however, the blade was not equipped with any serrations, which means that the cutting edge of the blade was "smooth" on both sides.

I hope I could help you with this.

br.
    R.

Yes, when comparing the two L1A3 bayonets in military use, (one with the accessory, the other without accessory).

The bayonets themselves are the same in design and quality.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4