Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish Cetme L bayonet

Article about: I thought I'd share some pictures of a Spanish Cetme L bayonet which I acquired some years ago. I do like the looks of it and I'm sure you'll recognize similarities with some models of Germa

?

Default Spanish Cetme L bayonet

I thought I'd share some pictures of a Spanish Cetme L bayonet which I acquired some years ago. I do like the looks of it and I'm sure you'll recognize similarities with some models of German G3 bayonets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish Cetme L bayonet   Spanish Cetme L bayonet  

Spanish Cetme L bayonet   Spanish Cetme L bayonet  

?

Some details.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Spanish Cetme L bayonet   Spanish Cetme L bayonet  

Spanish Cetme L bayonet  

?

I find the markings interesting and dedicated some time researching several years ago.

On Ralph Cobb's website the markings are identified as the maker mark (INI) and the Toledo Coat of arms. I found the so called Toledo Coat of arms isn't the Toledo Coat of Arms, but the Crest/Logo of the Spanish Army. Both have an eagle under a crown, but the Army one has a sword on its chest, whereas the Toledo one has a shield. The marking on the bayonet clearly shows a vertical sword.

The bayonets were issued to various forces such as the Ejército de Terra (land forces) and I believe their serial numbers start with ET.

It also seems the Fuerza Naval (Navy) uses a prefix FN in the serial numbers.

I expect the Ejército del Aire (Airforce) to use a prefix EA, but I could not find examples and I do not know if bayonets were issued in the airforce.

I did share my findings with Ralph Cobb and he confirmed receipt, but his website still talks about the Toledo Coat of Arms.

If anyone has additions or corections, these would be very welcome.
    Last edited by Kilian; 06-03-2023 at 08:59 PM.

?

Hello Kilian, about the ET prefix You should be correct, the maker under the serial looks like Cobb described :The CETME Model L bayonet was produced by the state-owned Santa Bárbara Sistemas factory, under auspices of the Instituto Nacional de Industria (INI). In wheel is SB on sides of swords blade. The other side is a spain Franco emblem.
    Here Cetme C from Cobb site, i have identical stamp on ET1117C bayonet.
    Spain - M1964 (CETME Model C) Bayonet
    I assume Cetme C is for 7,62mm caliber, Cetme L is for 5,56 caliber, also both army weapons, L modell should be replacement of model C probably in early 80ies.
    CETME Model L - Wikipedia

?

Yes, the maker Santa Bárbara INI has been identified correctly. The “Toledo Coat of Arms” however is the crest of the Spanish Army. See: Spanish Army - Wikipedia. And you see it on the Cetme C bayonet as well, indeed.

?

Come to think of it, I also noticed that there are at least two variations of the Cetme L: A version whereby the cross guard is held in place by two solid pins, like the one I have (and which appears to be more common). And a version whereby the cross guard is held in place by one hollow roll pin (which you appear to see less often).

I don’t know which is the earlier version, but I have a suspicion the version with the two solid pins is the earlier one, as the Cetme C also used two solid pins. And the Cetme L with the hollow pin shown here Spanish CETME Bayonets has a higher serial number than mine.

?

Yes the other stamp is of spain landforces, like correctly described by You, i was in wrong opinion its Franco coat of arms. Well described in link.
    The serials speaks it, the A range 84473 here still have a 2 rivets, the Riebert piece in link have 88xxxA with one holow rivet in crosspiece. So the switch should be determined.
    There are many reported on internet
    single hollow rivet is on 94xxxA, doubble rivets on 49xxxA, 50xxxA, 69xxxA
    CETME Model L 5.56 Rifle Bayonet Used
    Switch piece 85xxA already with one holow rivet
    Spanish CETME L Bayonet. Original | Roba.ee