Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Strange bayonet

Article about: Met in the sale of a bayonet. Seller's description: Rare ceremonial bayonet, Yatagan Chassepot, etching, Germany, France (original). Here's a photo. Is it a modern work or something else? Pe

You might like to translate that for us. But consider also the hilt and crossguard may also be made in Solingen as makers like Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie made the "Chassepot" bayonet as an export product. It's shown in the 1893 catalogue (which I have a copy of) as being still available.

?

Bayonets of Chassepot made many firms, including in Germany. But I didn't meet the Chassepot bayonets produced by Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie. Kirschbaum-often, Weyersberg-often, but Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie (WKS, knight+king's head) – never. I would be very grateful for information on such bayonets.

?

Description:
    "A bayonet similar to the French model of 1866 without a scabbard. Germany, similar to those manufactured in the last third of the 19th century. The item is prefabricated, late installation of the bladeĀ»

Strange bayonet

Never? Here's a page from my Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie sales catalogue of 1893.

model 624 is described as "Export sabre bayonet for the Remington-Gewehr rolling block rifle."

Strange bayonet

?

I haven't seen it bayonets of Chassepot with the mark of WKC. Photo 624-I was interested, but it's not Chassepot? The brand is not specified. If there is additional description of this bayonet of Chassepot – show.

?

I looked through the weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie catalog. Bayonet and saber blades are branded WKS.
    It is possible that the saber blade (shortened) with engraving was later placed on the handle of the bayonet. Probably a modern alteration. But the components are from the late 19th century
    Strange bayonet
    Strange bayonet

Yes, I agree the parts were assembled years after originally made. But what we can not be sure of is when this occurred? But I would think, it's not recent work.

?

The Chassepot was by 1883 already obsolete, possible they have a Remington bayonet in catalog as is visible by WKC,as to several countries could be still delivered, the blade is certainly of a nice Extra etched piece and was joined with brass handle,maybe the blade is shortened? question is the blade confirmed as WKC product? Dmir You look at post 1906 catalog which is probably out of similar pieces. b.r.Andy

?

Good evening! WKC did not find the brand. The saber blade was probably broken. The chip was turned and placed on the handle of the bayonet. On the handle-a relatively new mount.
    This was also indicated on the French website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2