Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

strange beast ...

Article about: Hi, has anyone of you ever seen such a bayonet? There is not really much to be found in the literature about this bayonet. If any of you have further or more detailed information about this

As a supplement:

East German M59s were sometimes additionally numbered on the guard. The numbers are slightly different from these here.

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

Another point is the guard itself.

It is hardly worked on at the surface. Almost a cast.
    For this one would have to look at late Hungarian M63.

These guards are also found on late East German M59/2 (M79) and M74 bayonets in general.

strange beast ...

?

Thanks for bringing more points to this, personally i am not certain about hungarian piece of blade, because the rivets would be in crossguard replaced by rotate the blade in different position, the serial is stamped over this rivets, the 1586 looks like proper side for various AKM bayonets , serialing of this type were done too by early russian, there is reported some triangle T proofs on early production, same as there exist different triangle arrow used by Romania?. The triangles on wood grip and on end of scabbard are strange and could be added later by refurbishment. Strange is too the rivets of body to cutting device on scabbard ends are flashed down and overpainted?? I assume the 316 is possible explanation on place of russian cyrilic zh letter, because of non clear pictures here. I agree the scabbard could be reused or reworked DDR piece with K in circle proof. With additional hungarian rubber type cover. Also strange piece, by a gift i would expect a non serialed piece.

?

Similar serialing was observed on DDR pieces, as the piece was reported by Brandenburg this could be done there in a workshop,by rotating the blade and proffesionally serialing the crossguard, question remains the arrow marking on scabbard and wood of new handle. Maybe used as a knife with this position of blade its more real. Note the typical cast barell ring here.Picture is from AK forum collector.
    strange beast ...

Hello,

Yes, since the handle was disassembled and re-riveted, the guard does not necessarily have to come from a 6x3 but also from a 6x4.
    On late 6x3 and on 6x4 such roughly machined castings were installed.

I don't think the one with the Izhevsk Arsenal stamps in the different places is original. As I said, the shape of the stamp is also strange.
    Romanian 6x3s had similar stamps. But only similar. In both cases the stamp does not fit.

Romanian bayonet for the PA md. 86 also often have a four-digit number stamped on the guard. I only know Soviet ones with engraving pen numbers.

The scabbard also appears to have been used more heavily. Clear dents can be seen on the front.

I cannot imagine that a professional workshop or company would have resorted to such used material or would not have carried out a proper refurbishment.

It can't be a Soviet scrabbard, because they have a flat scissor nock and flat rivet heads.

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

For me it remains a private craft work from different parts.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Similar serialing was observed on DDR pieces, as the piece was reported by Brandenburg this could be done there in a workshop,by rotating the blade and proffesionally serialing the crossguard, question remains the arrow marking on scabbard and wood of new handle. Maybe used as a knife with this position of blade its more real. Note the typical cast barell ring here.Picture is from AK forum collector.
    strange beast ...
    These numbers have nothing to do with it. They have a different shape and are beaten differently.
    Found on the East German M74 with brown and black grips.

Usually it is a repetition of the engraved number on the handle, which is hardly visible under the strap and also worn out. In addition, a separate 3 to 4-digit inventory number was sometimes attached to the unit.

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

strange beast ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3