Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?

Article about: I had posted this same thread over on the Imperial German forum, bit I figured this could fair better here. I ran across this the other day and decided to grab it. Wasn't all too expensive.

Default Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?

I had posted this same thread over on the Imperial German forum, bit I figured this could fair better here. I ran across this the other day and decided to grab it. Wasn't all too expensive. It is roughly 22 inches long, the blade itself being 16 5/8 inches long. With scabbard the total length is just under 23.5 inches long. It has no edge at all. It is marked with W.K & C with the stamp of the king's and knights head. Also it seems the scabbard has some sort of plated metal upon it with a design where it meets the leather. I am no expert on these bayonets, so any help is appreciated. I can post more pictures if requested, that is no problem.

Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?

Hallo,

this is a walking out Version of the german Seitengewehr 98/02.

Regards

Same answer as on the other thread.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Same answer as on the other thread.
    Ralph.
    Hello,

no S98/05 but an S98/02. Here as a walking out version. Not delivered for service. Only decoration for the walking out uniform.

Regards

?

Could be manufactured in period 1902-6/7, as S98/05 design was later applied, most real used by Pioneer soldier, SW correctly deciphered it. S98/02 dress bayonets are scarce to find, maker is WKC. Overll finish was nickeled, the sawback is more decorative as functional.

It does seem like it is a S98/02. Especially due to the design of the metal on the scabbard. From all the examples I have seen, the S98/05 is much shorter than my example. Thank y'all so much for pitching in to inform me about this piece.

This is the first bayonet I have purchased and from what I am gathering, this is a very uncommon piece that I got at a very cheap price compared to what some examples sell for.

I have several S98/02's but for your comments here are two:

Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?

I just got this one and have not even cleaned it. It was in the bottom of a box of bits from auction that turned out to be a real treasure with a complete ZF 4 scope and mount as well! I think it is a re-work but I'm unsure but the scabbard is a leather one with brass fittings.

Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?Strange Sawback I found. Possible fake?

My sawback came with my G98 which is a 1916 Spandau made one. It is so unwieldy to shoot with the bayonet fitted though, I've used it a couple of times and given up trying to get any accuracy out of it with a blade fitted!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I have several S98/02's but for your comments here are two:

98/05

Quote by CarterP935115 View Post
    I had posted this same thread over on the Imperial German forum, bit I figured this could fair better here. I ran across this the other day and decided to grab it. Wasn't all too expensive. It is roughly 22 inches long, the blade itself being 16 5/8 inches long. With scabbard the total length is just under 23.5 inches long. It has no edge at all. It is marked with W.K & C with the stamp of the king's and knights head. Also it seems the scabbard has some sort of plated metal upon it with a design where it meets the leather. I am no expert on these bayonets, so any help is appreciated. I can post more pictures if requested, that is no problem.
    A rare bird !
    Congrats !