Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Trench Club ??

Article about: Does anyone know if this is a trench club ........................ or just a poachers's fish/game priest ?? I haven't seen anything like it. Picked it this week. Wooden handle with lead head

Greetings Robin,

An interesting piece to be sure, but not (as has been pointed out) a pattern/type I recognize. I have only recently gotten into adding a few wooden trench clubs to my own collection, because the wooden ones are a bit of a slippery slope/minefield in terms of determining which are original and which are not. Wish I could be more conclusive on your example, but it is well outside of my base of knowledge.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thanks Lance.

It's an oddity, to be sure.

The penny has just dropped !

I was thrown off by the odd wooden handle on this club ..................... it's thinner than that usually seen on official trench clubs and has no hole for a strap.

It's just dawned on me that the handle has been cut down from an army issue rattan walking out cane !

I suppose the chap who made it had more use for a trench club than for his swagger stick on the Western Front.

Quote by Robin Lumsden View Post
    The penny has just dropped !

I was thrown off by the odd wooden handle on this club ..................... it's thinner than that usually seen on official trench clubs and has no hole for a strap.

It's just dawned on me that the handle has been cut down from an army issue rattan walking out cane !

I suppose the chap who made it had more use for a trench club than for his swagger stick on the Western Front.
    Bl**dy hell... yes! I have one sat behind me as I slave away at the keyboard, stood in a large shell case - although it has a leather-bound bulbous top. Once the property of a WW1 officer from the Cheshire regiment.

There's a WW1 trench club in the Imperial War museum collection with a block of lead mounted on an entrenching tool handle. It was donated by the man who made it in the trenches ( and who used it). He said he made a mould from clay into which the lead was poured. This club we are looking at could have been made the same way, in the trenches but with steel protrusions secured by the molten lead.

Now fitted with a suitable wrist strap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trench Club ??  

The club has a look of genuine age about it and is nothing like the dozens of fakes still turning up every so often. When something is hand made and not to a regulation pattern it is very hard to say, but my gut feeling is that's a real trench club. Now the one in kradman's post, what a classic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2