Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Two bayonets to be identified

Article about: Gents - your valuable knowledge is heavily needed! Pls help me identify those two nice Mauser bayos below. One of them is German produced and the other one Austrian produced (that´s for sure

Default Re: Two bayonets to be identified

Quote by Bruno View Post
    Got both bayos from dealer and the mistery of austrian bayo is also more or less clear now. This bayo has a marking AS.FA in pommel which means that this bayo must have a clear relationship to Turkish army - so it was (most probably) kind of export to Turkey

I´m bit on unsatisfied with the knowledge of the Forum - no help onto my Question (as you can see)

All 12 points goes to Estonia so
    Bruno I have to agree with Vedran,, as you need to post these photos yourself and not the link. Please upload these photos to your computer first then post them here on the forum. From that point if needed the members here can take those photos and enlarge them themselves and try to find truths for you. Please xplain your meaning of "points" to the rest of the forum members as we all live in different hemispheres and dont know the terminology of your thoughts. Uploading the photos to here will keep this thread open. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    Bruno, it's hard to help, if the information about your bayonet get later - AS.FA stamp.
    So when looking for help, it is desirable to photograph all trademarks on bayonet.

Another thing, stamp of Austrian eagle on blade. means that these bayonet, was the property of the Austro-Hungarian army.
    Bayonet without an eagle, means that this item was intended for export.

Regards
    Vedran
    Thank you, Vedran, - there is no Austrian eagle in this bayo (only OEWG marking + AS.FA) - so it seems to be clearly an export blade to Turkey. I like the shape of this bayo especially because it´s a copy of my best famous prussian m1871/84

Sorry to everybody because not all the information at time - I posted here all photos sent me by dealer and I got all info only when I was handed over the blades...

?

The one made by Simson is probably a spanish contract M1882/93,reworked by them with new grips, the other one should be romanian M1893 unfortunally captured by Turkey and reworked there for M1935 rifle.

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    The one made by Simson is probably a spanish contract M1882/93,reworked by them with new grips, the other one should be romanian M1893 unfortunally captured by Turkey and reworked there for M1935 rifle.
    Could you imagine such a crazy life for one bayonet: to be produced by austrians iaw prussian model, sold to roumanians, captured in war and re-worked by turkish... That´s why I like those export-Mauser // Männlicher bayos - they often have so crazy stories behind!

Many thanks to AndyB - respect

?

Sorry to reserrect an old post but..... the Austro-Hungarian bayonet may very well be a German S71/84 made for and sold with the German Commission Rifle - the Gew88 - made by Steyr on contract for the Imperial German government. See if it fits a Gew88. The Spanish Mauser bayonet resembles the German S71/84 but will not fit the German rifles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2