Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1941 British pith helmet ID

Article about: Hello friends, I am hoping to learn more information about my sun helmet. Other than the obvious maker’s mark of Vero & Everit, Ltd. and date of 1941, I don’t know much more about it

Default 1941 British pith helmet ID

Hello friends,

I am hoping to learn more information about my sun helmet.

Other than the obvious maker’s mark of Vero & Everit, Ltd. and date of 1941, I don’t know much more about it.
    I have attached images below.

There is a stamp on the band inside that says “England”.
    I’m guessing this may be a post-war import mark into the US, back when such laws were in place. Not sure.

Was this a military helmet, or civilian? Or both?
    Where would these helmets have been likely destined for (other than a warm climate with plenty of sun)?

On the very front above the pugaree, there are two tiny holes where a badge or device was pinned.
    Would be curious what was placed here.

Inside on the rear of the band, there is a looped ring with a snap catch.

I did some digging online and found photos of an RAF “type A flying helmet”.
    The two look very similar, with exception to the color.
    I have attached two photos below of the “type A” (green helmet).

Thanks for looking, any insight would be much appreciated.

JB

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 British pith helmet ID  

Polo helmet, though the South Africans used this pattern for their military
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

There were one or two replies to a post I made back in 2017 which you might find interesting;

WW1 British Pith helmet question

Thanks very much for the information.

I did some more digging online and learned a bit more about these “polo” sun helmets.

During the war, cork was becoming short in supply (mainly being from Portugal), so British manufacturers changed to a heavy felt material.

Furthermore, The ventilator cap was omitted to streamline production.

Can you tell me about the arrow on the sweatband? Is this what they call the “broad arrow”?

What does this marking signify? From what I’ve read, this was used to mark government property.
    Is this correct?

Thanks again and cheers!
    JB

Hi Jb.

Thank you for posting this.

I find it really interesting because the company that produced this was founded in my home town. Where the factory once stood there are two super markets and a petrol station.

Atherstone. Vero & Everett's hat factory - Our Warwickshire

Victoria to 20th Century by Bill Vero

With the expansion of the British Empire the tropical sun helmet was developed this was made from cork or pith taken from the Indian sponge wood tree , very light in weight covered with white or khaki cotton and faced with green cloth and insulated with aluminium foil which kept the head cool against the tropical sun . British Army and tea planters in India adopted the game of Polo which was played before 500BC and spread through the Eastern world as well as being good training for cavalry . The Calcutta Polo was formed in 1863 and an adaption of the tropical pith helmet was developed for polo . The origins of the modern protective helmet are found in a combination of the different styles of headwear developed for several different disciplines in the Equestrian world using the available materials of felt, goss reinforcement and cork .

Everitt W Vero & Co Ltd - Camberwell Borough CouncilCamberwell Borough Council

Kind regards,

Will.

Will,

Thank you very much for sharing the information about the factory in your hometown as well as the links. Fantastic reads.

And BlackCat, thank you very much for the link to your post from 2017. How did the your Wolseley restoration turn out?

I'm not sure the arrow on post #1 is a version of a Ordnance Crows foot (broad arrow), as it looks more like a regular arrow. John I'm ashamed to say my Pith helmet is as it was in 2017 as I haven't been able to locate a source for more cork - also there is always other things to do.

The arrow mark at #1 doesn't look at all like a "broad arrow" mark. I would think it is something else.

?

A couple of in-depth articles on this style of can be found at -

The Dutch-South African Helmet Connection | Military Sun Helmets

The Longest Issued RAF Flying Helmet RFC/RAF Cork Aviation Helmet, 1917-1942 22C/13 | Military Sun Helmets

The first by Peter Suciu includes the history of the South African use of them and some detective work as to how the Germans ended up with a batch. The second is by myself, and is over long, but takes the types possible history back to 1917. The WWII felt type may be orphaned RAF shells, that got superseded. But I'll let you make up your own minds.