Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1943 Royal Observer Corps Mkii Helmet

Article about: Hi, On looking for marks on my Mkii I find just under the chinstrap fitting (which is rivetted over the marking partly obscuring the), stamped 1943 and R O Corps. This surprised me as I woul

Default 1943 Royal Observer Corps Mkii Helmet

Hi,

On looking for marks on my Mkii I find just under the chinstrap fitting (which is rivetted over the marking partly obscuring the), stamped 1943 and R O Corps.
    This surprised me as I would have thought that all steel helmets, of which millions produced, would have been neutral and then delivered to whichever Service needed them.
    I cannot believe that the helmets to the ROC were any different to those used by the Army, Navy, or RAF.
    And if the ROC did get their helmets from one specific supplier then again there would be no need to stamp their initials on the steel shell.

Any ideas why this specific marking ?

Thanks.

?

I think you will find it's, RO&CO. the maker Rubery Owen & Co.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 Royal Observer Corps Mkii Helmet  

Gotcha. That will be it. Unfortunately on mine only the RO and the date is visible. So I cannot see the Co and the AZ as in your picture.