Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner.

Article about: So I recently managed to pick up probably one the latest dated MK5 Turtle helmets I have seen (this being dated 1986 all round including a new unissued chinstrap I luckily found online as we

Default 1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner.

So I recently managed to pick up probably one the latest dated MK5 Turtle helmets I have seen (this being dated 1986 all round including a new unissued chinstrap I luckily found online as well to complement this) but I have noticed that the sock liner in this is unlike any other MK5 I have seen before. As you can see from the photos comparing it to a 1978 dated liner, the 86 dated one seems to be shorter cut than the earlier example. I have never seen this before but I suspect this may be one of the final upgrades with the MK5 liner before its final phasing out. Funilly enough it does seem to hold the head better when you put it on over the older liners despite being shorter.

Other than this the most notable differences are the black pads on the sides which were a much more durable material than the earlier yellow pads, that tend to crumble away and go brittle, but this is a common change I have seen meany times before. If anyone knows any info about this shorter type liner please elaborate on it if you can.

1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner. 1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner.
    1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner. 1986 MK5 Turtle Helmet with a strange liner.

Hi, what’s the shell date?

Sorry..that was a bit blunt.....I meant to say what’s the date on the shell please....I’m assuming it’s a ‘53 (or similar) shell. And to answer your question, I’ve never noticed a length/depth (?) difference re the liners....’nice spot......

Quote by Composite View Post
    Sorry..that was a bit blunt.....I meant to say what’s the date on the shell please....I’m assuming it’s a ‘53 (or similar) shell. And to answer your question, I’ve never noticed a length/depth (?) difference re the liners....’nice spot......
    Hi, yes both helmet shells are early 50s mk4s with mk5 liners in them, ultimately making them mk5 helmets. Don’t know of the exact date and don’t want to take the scrim all apart to find out but I am sure they are both early 50s.

I believe you may be correct with the sock length changing at some point, as my Mk V has one of these shorter socks. maybe a way of trying to save money on material?

Wow a 1990 dated sock. Must be one of the last ones made with a date like that!

Yeah, I'm surprised they still made parts for these that late.

?

Are they shorter or just fitted differently? If you compare where the weave changes to the position in the liner it looks like the longer one is fitted in a different position.

It's been a long time since I've had one of these helmets, but I seem to remember the stitched eye that the press stud goes through is a slot, that stretches. it may also be that the liners are different sizes.

Steve.

Quote by Armo1000 View Post
    both helmet shells are early 50s mk4s with mk5 liners in them, ultimately making them mk5 helmets.
    Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a Mk5 helmet as that nomenclature was never used by the MOD and was missed out altogether with the introduction of the Mk6.

This configuration is just a Mk4 body (that's the correct nomenclature) with a Mk5 liner.

When all the parts were assembled the nomenclature was; Helmet, steel, complete.

The term Mk5 helmet is a collectors term but I do agree it seems to make things more simple and clear.

As for the late date on the "socks" above this is because the steel pot was still in service albeit obsolescent in tandem with the Mk6 so there would have to be maintenance stocks in the supply system. I suppose the circumstances dictate that the late date items are especially rare and desirable to collectors who seek the whole range of a timeline.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-09-2021 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'm assuming you've removed both "socks" and laid one on another to make sure it is a length issue and not a hole-positioning one?