Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

ARP Medic MKII

Article about: Hi There, It's been a very long time since i last posted in this forum. My Helmet collecting has slowed down a lot over the last few years but I am always on the lookout for items of special

Default ARP Medic MKII

Hi There,

It's been a very long time since i last posted in this forum. My Helmet collecting has slowed down a lot over the last few years but I am always on the lookout for items of special interests for me. My ambition has been to find a WW2 MKII with a local, Gibraltar connection, and i am glad to report that i finally managed it. I bought this MKII yesterday from a local resident on Facebook of all places. It is fresh out of the "woodwork" and though a bit rough I am over the moon. It is a JSS marked MKII dated 1939 and also has 1939 dated chinstrap bales. The markings on the liner are quite faint but i think it is a 1939 model and its a size 7. Now the interesting bit is that it is marked on the exterior with a small cross and the letters ARP underneath. I have not been able to find a similar one on the web so I am theorising that it is a local thing, ARP Medic or First Aider perhaps? What do you think?

thanksARP Medic MKIIARP Medic MKIIARP Medic MKIIARP Medic MKII

?

Be nice if it was local that this ARP helmet belongs, do you have any info' on the ARP/CD set up for Gib during the war?

The ARP set up followed the same system as in the UK only on a smaller scale. There are several files available in our local archives dealing with the ARP and including names of the wardens, i shall have to take a look when possible.
    The gentleman that had this helmet had been a Major in the local TA but passed away recently due to COVID but his son told me that he remembers seeing this helmet at home when he was a kid. I did see another local helmet a few years ago and it was the same date and makers although no markings, tried to buy that one but the owner , a school teacher, donated it to a school and probably lost by now.

I will check facebook and see if i can find images of local CD with helmets. I have seen the AFS and Fire Brigade with them but not much else.

What an exciting find, not every day you see a bit of Gibraltarian history!

ARP Medic MKIIARP Medic MKII

I have not been able to identify to whom this helmet belonged to but I have managed to confirm that a First Aid section was set up as part of the local ARP Scheme.

I am over the moon over this acquisition.

Ian