Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Belgian Army in the United Kingdom

Article about: Hi, I'm pretty sure the Belgiums & even the Dutch used WW2 British helmets after the war, & if marked with the national flag how could you know if it was done WW2 or post war? The 4

Default Belgian Army in the United Kingdom

Hello,

Thought I'd show the helmet (and other bits) that I have, issued to the Belgian soldiers who escaped to continue the war in the UK - maybe even from the Piron Brigade!

The helmet liner is dated 1939.

What does the hexagonal nut on the top of the helmet mean rather than the more common flat, circular rivet?

Thanks

?

Default Re: Belgian Army in the United Kingdom

Hi,
    Have seen lots of post war Belgian helmets with the flag on so it's nice to see a WW2 one
    As for the liner bolt, either replaced by a soldier or done post war as it does'nt look very military. Still a nice rare helmet though.
    Aaron

Thanks,

There doesn't seem to be any evidence the typical circular rivit was there at all. I don't suppose it could be a Mk.1* could it? The dates seem right.....

Thanks again,

?

Hi,
    It's a MkII, it has the MkIII chin strap lugs making it post Feb'39, which ties in nicely with the MkI liner. Which they made from 37-39.
    Aaron

hello, Brigade Piron and welcome to the forum.
    I like the stuff you showed, just managed to lay hand on the "belgian army in the UK" badge recently, I would love to have the complete uniform.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks everyone

Uniforms from the belgians are near impossible to find - particually from the piron brigade. I am trying to get the insignia together to put on another BD blouse, I just need to find a shoulder title and flag!

Good Belgians items are very hard to find.
    Here is mine "BAIUK" badge.
    |<Belgian Army in the United KingdomBelgian Army in the United Kingdom
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

i have one with a belgian flag as well. Mine has no liner and there is rust all over where the maker mark/ date is. I am not sure whether mine is ww2 dated or a post war 1948- 1949 shell.
    I will get pictures of it up sometime.

Thanks

That BAIUK badge is made by a company called De Gaunt, in Belgium some time after the liberation - a nice piece!

As for helmets it is fairly easy to tell the 1949 run of helmets, even if they do have painted flags (most have decals), so please post pictures!

Thanks

?

Nice helmet.
    I have such a helmet myself (see pics).
    Mine is a British MKII from 1940 made by Harrison Bros. & Howson, Sheffield (HBH 4, does anyone know what that 4 means?). The liner is also British and is made by FH (I don't know the full name) in 1941.

But isn't it possible that the belgian army used british MKII helmets directly after the war? If I'm not mistaken belgian produced their first MKII's in 1949, so what did they use from 44 till 48?

In the liner there is also a II stamp, between the manufacturer and the date. Does anyone know what that means?

Pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast