Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Belgian? Mk.II Helmet W/ 4 part cover

Article about: Hello all! I found this Mk.II at my local surplus store and as I've been looking to get a Mk.II of some sort I bought it. I immediately noticed the 4 part cloth cover on it but as it is in v

Default Belgian? Mk.II Helmet W/ 4 part cover

Hello all! I found this Mk.II at my local surplus store and as I've been looking to get a Mk.II of some sort I bought it.
    I immediately noticed the 4 part cloth cover on it but as it is in very good shape I am not sure it is original.
    The liner is a Belgian M.49 (Mark.II clone) liner but I am not sure if the helmet itself is Belgian as it has no stamps or markings that I can see other than an ink stamp on the inside of the helmet and the liner screw appears to be either replaced or added.
    There also appears to be the name 'Sander' written on the inside of the cover.
    Any information or replies are greatly appreciated!

Belgian? Mk.II Helmet W/ 4 part coverBelgian? Mk.II Helmet W/ 4 part cover

Comparison next to some of my other 'Brodies'
    Trashed P.17 In the process of restoring (Left) Mk.II (Middle) WW1 Mk.I English produced Brodie (Right)
    Belgian? Mk.II Helmet W/ 4 part cover

Hi. The shell is WW2 British, after the War the Belgians purchased shells & added their own liners. In 1949 they started manufacturing their own modele 49 helmets. Virtually identical in appearance one of the small differences is the top screw is recessed slightly in a dimple- yours does not have this & is a British shell.

?

British helmet, refurbished post war,(ink stamp) cover looks to be a mosquito cover, the netting part cut away.

Thank you so much lads! I still have a few questions though.

-Did the British manufacture Mk.II helmets with no stamps on them or am I overlooking a weak stamp that could be covered up by rust?

-There is no evidence of mosquito net stitching or holes left that would indicate netting once being there, there are also no stamps visable on the cover. Here are several examples I've found doing some research that have stamps. Does anyone have any closer pictures of a mosquito net cover or a WW1 4 part cover?
    War Department Militaria | Rare WWII Mosquito Net Helmet Cover
    Original Rare British WWII Brodie Jungle Helmet Cover with Insect Net - Dated 1944 – International Military Antiques

(NOTE): How the string is a different color & the mosquito covers are using 3 rows of stitching compared to my helmet cover which only has 1 row. I dont believe there could have been a net on this cover at any point.
    Also 'Sander' would appear to be a rather Dutch name. Perhaps that was the name of a Belgian serviceman?

Again I appreciate the replies! I am happy the helmet appears to be English in orgin!
    Last edited by Mordecai; 11-22-2023 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Corrections, typos.

?

The date/maker stamp can be poorly stamped, or under the chin strap lug. If it not a mosquito cover, I have no idea of what it could be for.