Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

SMP
    ?

Definitely worth the drive and £20. These "hex" nets are hard to find. Congrats !

?

I have been in conversation with an Australian dealer who had this net for sale, unfortunately now sold, and label gone.
    Last letters, ain or am & Co Ltd, with address 14 High Pavement Nottingham.
    Like Thomas Whittaker & Dobson & M. Browne, from Nottingham.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

SMP
    ?

Shouldn't be hard to find which company was registered at that address in 1939-45. High Pavement St was right an the centre of the lace-making trade in Nottingham.

?

The seller said. "Just for interest, the nets I have came out of a wooden box, marked “repacked 1952” as far as I can remember. Hence the different manufactures."

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The seller said. "Just for interest, the nets I have came out of a wooden box, marked “repacked 1952” as far as I can remember. Hence the different manufactures."
    Wonder if 1952 is when all those mint HSATs were shipped to Oz

?

Hi all, new member, but read this thread a few times, so thank you!
    How about this net? It's on a 1940 bmb shell, and looks to have been on there a long time.
    Been through the thread and couldn't see an exact match. Or is the net just on the helmet with a different side of the weave showing?
    Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  
    Last edited by JWills; 02-05-2021 at 07:01 PM.

SMP
    ?

It is not a purpose made helmet net, rather a net made from cutting-up a large equipment net. I know the Americans did this as a stop gap measure, so maybe the Brits did too.

?

Ah right. What is it about this net which makes you consider that to be the case?
    Thanks

SMP
    ?

Quote by JWills View Post
    Ah right. What is it about this net which makes you consider that to be the case?
    Thanks
    Look at the rough cut round the edges. Purpose made nets have two, or four hems.

?

Joseph Gundry Ltd., net and rope makers based in Bridport, Dorset, UK.
    Although the size 25' x 12' is for covering vehicles and other large items, we know they also made helmet nets in Bridport.
    So at least we have a name to put to knotted nets, as well as the ones we have for the woven nets from Nottingham.

Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast