Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

Quote by SMP View Post
    I bought this strange net on e-bay.
    Has anyone got, or seen this type before?
    I've only just seen your question and I am surprised that nobody has answered it after nearly a year!

I believe that rather than camouflage net meant for a helmet this is actually face veil material. Issued throughout the war as a two colour item and well into the '90s as a single colour (sage green) item. Possibly still in use today but I am not sure. I will look in my old kit boxes to find mine and post it for reference.

Regards

Mark

PS current item on Ebay PACK OF TWO - Genuine Military Issue Green Scrim Face Neck Veil Scarf - NEW x 2 | eBay
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-26-2022 at 09:19 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

SMP
    ?

Thanks MARK, but I have a few face-veils ( both war-time and post war) and this net is different to all of them. I should say it is held with a piece of ancient elastic that has long since lost its elasticity. I hope someone can show me an exact match, even if it only a lace curtain, or some such thing.
    Steve

Default Early netted Mk II helmet, RASC with name and number

Here is one of my favourite netted helmets. A worn, tatty and dirty example but just the way I prefer them, with that tangible feel and smell of having been there. This was picked up direct from the family of a RASC driver, along with his P37 webbing belt, brace straps and cartridge carriers all attached together as he last wore them (and dated 1941). The net is the early type and, as far as I can tell, has never been removed since.

I haven't yet got around to researching the former owner, but I imagine it will be difficult to find many details until WW2 service records are opened up. If anyone has anything to share about the name and number I'd be very grateful.

Matthew

MatthewBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmets

?

a nice score!.

Default Another Mk II with original untouched net

And here is a second favourite combination - an early war 1940 Mk II made by Ro & Co, this time with a later style net firmly attached all the way around and stretched tightly over the shell. I have never removed it and think (hope) it's all original, backed up by the 'shadow' of the net imprinted into the paint underneath (4th image). The liner is in excellent condition, dated 1939, but the flaps are very stiff, so It's difficult to take any detailed pictures inside.

Matthew

British & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmets

SMP
    ?

Great pair of helmets

?

There seems to have been a James Frederick Pullin recorded with the same service number (1721785) in the Royal Air Force in 1941 - could he be the original owner of your helmet?...

Wow, thank you for that lead! The few times I've searched for details I was looking at army records, as I was told he was a driver in the RASC. The unblancoed webbing set that came with the helmet was dated 1941 and definitely not RAF or Air Ministry issue. But I suppose there's a very high chance this must be him with a name like that and matching service number. I'll have to follow this up now. Thanks again.

Matthew

?

A couple of pictures of soldiers of the BEF in France 1940.
    Wearing woven nets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

Default Medics Mk2

Found in Pesaro Italy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast