Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Most British nets will be 16" x 16" (early nets.
    Later nets 18" x 18" most likely from early 1944, to fit the larger Mk3 helmet.
    Which for the rest of us is 41 x 41 and 46 x 46 cm.

/J

My mistake. The correct size is 38x42cm. Strange, how did I measure so inaccurately with the previous measurement.

My two new identical helmet nets. I suggest they are of Canadian origin. Odd tone and camo shade. The measures are 41x41cm and 1x1cm

British & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmets

SMP
    ?

Not much left of this old net but no-one can argue it is not original to the helmet ! A MKI* for the Scots guards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

?

Stunning.

?

1938 shell and liner. Net appears to have been on there a long time, so hopefully original. Shell has subtle green camouflage paint added front and rear. Suggestions on which theatre this could have been done appreciated.

?

Pictures make it appear a little darker than it does in real life.

That's a nice looking helmet, especially with the very early matching 1938 dates. The helmet net looks like an original but I doubt it was always on that helmet - there is no way the rim has lost so much paint without the net becoming torn and damaged around the edge. I would also expect such an early helmet to have the corresponding early weave net. See SMP's nice example in post #334, just above this.

Matthew

?

Ah yes, I had overlooked that point. And on closer inspection you're right. An old net and appears to have been on there a while, but not been on there since the war. I can see now that the white specks go beneath the net, so clearly wasn't there during that time.

But as you say, a nice helmet anyway.
    Thanks for your help.

?

May remove the net in this case then, as it will be easier to see the camouflage paint on the shell.

But as an observation and obviously not in this case, would it not be possible that a 1938 shell could have had a couple of nets throughout the war, and therefore a less worn late war net would be feasible?

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast