Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British flash

Article about: Hi here, I am trying to find out what this flash is. Does anyone know which speciality it is ? The helmet is flashed front to the 43rd infantry division. Many thanks

Quote by yast View Post
    When looking further, I found the battle order of the 43rd infantry division:
    https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/bat...antry-division

It had indeed a reconnaissance regiment, the 43rd regiment - which confused me with the 43rd division: 43rd Reconnaissance Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps. I'll see if I can find more.

Regarding the helmet cover it was found with the helmet. And I don't think it was messed up by some kids.
    It does confuse in some circumstances but it is fairly standard British Army unit naming protocol. It was the 43rd Recce Regt because it was part of 43 Inf Div. Similar protocols are followed in many armies and can be very useful when trying to associate sub-units with higher formation or vice-versa;

43rd (Wessex) Reconnaissance Regiment - Wikipedia

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-14-2021 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

SMP
    ?

Given where it was found it is possible the net was only worn on the helmet for a few months.

?

Yes it could have served until end of July - for the battle of Caen. So that would be one month in combat.
    The liner is dated 1940 though - so it's not a late war production.

That is one special helmet!

May I suggest you might want to contact the Regimental Museum of the Wiltshire Regiment (Wessex) as they have copies of the war diaries. They may be able to provide some further information on events in and around Bavent in the Summer of 1944.

Home :: The Wardrobe

BC.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    That is one special helmet!

May I suggest you might want to contact the Regimental Museum of the Wiltshire Regiment (Wessex) as they have copies of the war diaries. They may be able to provide some further information on events in and around Bavent in the Summer of 1944.

Home :: The Wardrobe

BC.
    Slightly off beam but regarding the museum; It's a small traditional military museum originally of The Wiltshire Regiment and now through a series of amalgamations is one of several representing the antecedants of the current regiment "The Rifles".

It's worth a visit if in the area and holds the Victoria Crosses of Capt R Hayward (Fremicourt 1918) and Sgt AW Rodgers VC MM of the Wiltshire Regiment who died winning the VC at Anzio 1944. If you do get there, Salisbury Guildhall has another VC on loan from the family of Salisbury born 2Lt TE Adlam of the Berkshire Regiment (Thiepval 1916) which can be viewed by appointment.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hello,
    Thanks a ot for the hint. It would indeed be really nice to find out more about the history of the regiment around Bavent.
    I will contact the museum and let you know what we could find it out.
    It seems to be a nice place to visit indeed. Smaller museum are often more enjoyable to me.

Hi do you have more information where this hemet was found in Bavent ??

regards

?

Hello, sorry I don't know where it was found more precisely.

?

Hello,
    I was about to contact the museum and it seems they will not have information on the 43rd regiment.
    "
    The museum holds artifacts, archives and records of the 49th, 62nd, 66th and 99th Regiments of Foot, The Royal Berkshire Regiment, The Wiltshire Regiment and The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment
    "
    I will have to check if there is an association for the division I guess.

The famous Bavent Wood.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast