Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

Article about: Guys...I've just spent 300 years (nearly) working through screens and screens of 1 & 2 page threads on the Mk4. Most of the MkII stuff now gets added to one highly informative (and BIG)

Quote by Composite View Post
    Great stuff.... if they’re lift-the-dot they’re in. I seem to recal talk of two batches...mid ‘40s and early ‘50s tho may have remembered that wrong...........so 45 to 58 it is....unless..........
    Almost right but not wrong either. There's no question there were two batches - the WW2 originals and the (roughly) Korean War (the early 50s dates). However, there are the surprising outliers - we now know of helmets dated 1956 and 1958 (may be other years I don't instantly recall). The early Fifties batch is (I'm guessing here as you can imagine) probably because of the uncertain outcome of the Korean conflict and a need to have enough of the modern helmets for general issue. The third set, in the 56-58 period, is harder to understand. I don't think invoking the Suez Crisis would be an adequate explanation. This is probably something like "is the HPLW actually made of ..." which will never be answered.

Quote by Composite View Post
    ‘Anyone got a spare liner “sock” or seen them for sale?
    obviously too late but....BRITISH ARMY SOCK LINER FOR MK4 HELMET | eBay in case anyone needs one
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

'picked up another one this morning.....can't make out the shell stamps but the liner's dated 1980 and the "sock" is dated '78....so defo a Falklands example....probably worn on Goose Green too.......yeah, rrrrright ;-) ....'nice though. Gotta decide whether I add it to the pile or move it on...but I do like these scrimmed-up 4's

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

...another one from BMB...heavily "dressed"....'nice date grouping - strap '78, liner frame '78 and "sock" '80...shell will be '56-'58 presumably. This one's got "For sale- Falklands" written all over it....some time perhaps

British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmetBritish Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet

...and yes, I know the sock makes it a "MkV"...did we ever sort that?
    Last edited by Composite; 08-24-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: forgetfulness

Picked up this example. BMB 1953 shell and 1972 Dated sock liner. Does anyone know what the flash might indicate? Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mark IV Mk4 "Turtle" helmet  

Although not nearly as exciting as some of the other examples here, I figured I would throw in my rather plain and minty one. However it does feature an extremely late production chinstrap and sock which is something a little different.

?

Nothing really new here except this nice Turtle that I got a few months ago.
    Before showing the photos of it let's remember that the Mk III needed to be improved seriously.
    Mainly because the nasty beast could turn on the poor lad head by itself, reminds me of the Spanish M38 "Eibar" link: Spanish helmets evolution from 1921 to 1985. Part 1 of 3..

A new fastener to hold the shell & liner firmly was installed & the chinstrap bails were lowered about 4 cm, born was the MK IV. The final version unofficially known as the MK V was the same helmet with a Improved liner. This is the one I got.

So clean, almost new & wonderful!
    Not everybody will agree, I know that!

WHERE DID THAT SWEETHEART GO?
    Last edited by Jack59; 06-05-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8