Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British Mk. I Helmet and insignia identification

Article about: I recently picked up this helmet that was labelled as a Canadian Expeditionary Force helmet produced in 1916 and I was hoping to confirm what it is. Based on the details of the helmet it see

?

That's it, I was looking for signs with that tree shape, guess I need to expand my knowledge beyond division into infantry regiments.
    Steve

?

Thank you very much, that looks spot on! Can't imagine I ever would have figured that out. I look forward to doing some further research on the 103rd Infantry Regiment.
    Not sure if there is an answer to this question but would these helmets have been taken from newly manufactured British helmet stock or previously used MK 1's as well? Is there a possibility that this was worn in 1916 or would it have been sitting around until distributed to the American forces?

?

Found some information on 26th division and that they were unique in painting insignia on helmets based on regiment rather than division. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but could point to why most other AEF helmets are painted with division insignia and this one with Regimental.

When painted helmet markings became widely adopted in the AEF to help identify different organizations, the 26th Division was the only one to select distinctly different insignia for each component unit. The helmet mark chosen for the 103rd Infantry was a green pine tree on a white diamond in honor of Maine, “The Pine Tree State.” This heraldry clearly represented the Northern New England contingent of the “Yankee” Division, combining the Maine state military crest with the YD diamond insignia on a white field (for infantry). [Today the “Colors” of the 103rd Infantry can be viewed at the Hall of Flags in the Maine State House].

The 103rd Infantry Regiment | Soldiers' Mail

?

Quote by latt View Post
    Not sure if there is an answer to this question but would these helmets have been taken from newly manufactured British helmet stock or previously used MK 1's as well? Is there a possibility that this was worn in 1916 or would it have been sitting around until distributed to the American forces?
    I think it was bit of both, they were issued once troops arrived in Europe, I'm sure some would have been recycled.

?

A soldier of the 103rd wearing a similar insignia

British Mk. I Helmet and insignia identification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2