Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Default Re: British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Thank you all for your comments,
    Yes Aaron,the inside is thick with paint and I have allready promised not to bring the Black&Decker sander out,I'll leave it as it is,at least I know the year.I wish Dale had not sold his,we could compere notes.
    Patrick

Yeah, I'm kinda kicking my butt now for selling it...I let it go for next to nothing too. It came to me in a batch of post-war used Dutch civilian defense and PTT helmets so I assumed it was done by them. The Brits upgrading their stocks makes more sense.

?

Quote by 7eme BCA View Post
    Thank you for quick answer and comments,
    It seems,as a rule,(turtle,Canadian,M44, as a nickname) a Mk III has high rivets and nut and bolt lining fastener,a Mk IV has lower rivets and a lift the dot fastener.Was there a time when there was a helmet with high rivets and lift the dot fastener ? It's a kind of hybrid,a bit of one,a bit of another.May be someone has come across one and could clarify.Thank you for your help.
    Patrick
    Hi, There's a Mk4 helmet on UK Ebay No 220606277533. It is dated 1953 with the low rivets for the chin straps, but it has the nut & bolt to fix the liner?
    Aaron.

Aaron,
    thank you for message,I am going on ebay now to check,maybe drop the seller a word,he might know something,will forward you his answer if relevant.
    The plot thickens,it would be interesting to solve this mixture of dates,nuts and rivets!!
    Speak again
    Patrick

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi, There's a Mk4 helmet on UK Ebay No 220606277533. It is dated 1953 with the low rivets for the chin straps, but it has the nut & bolt to fix the liner?
    Aaron.
    Hello Aaron,dropped the seller a line.He bought it at an antique fair and does not know about it,did not understand what I was asking,and although it is obvious on the picture,he tells me there are no nut and bolt on his helmet.I have just bought 2 cheapies to do up and will not bid on his,he might relist it if not sold,I will have a go then.
    Patrick

?

Hi Patrick, there definitely is a nut & bolt holding in the liner
    Aaron.

Sometimes those LTD studs came loose and fell out...easiest way to fix it was with a bolt and nut. The MkIV has a dimple at the top were the hole for the stud is. Just have to get the guy to remove the bolt to check. The panhead bolt will cover that dimple so it is good to check. Some sellers absolutely refuse to take anything apart though.

Hello Dale,
    thank you for your note regarding the turtle helmet.If one finds a 1953 helmet even with a 1940's dated liner,the bolt and nut would be there as a repair if the LTD was removed or fell off,and if the seller refuses to show if there is a dimple,leave alone then.I might make you envious,since you let go of yours,I have just bought a 1944 turtle,LTD,with a 1945 liner with WD arrow,why is this arrow not on all liners.
    Wish you a happy new year Dale.
    Wish a happy new year to all on this site
    Patrick

?

Hi Patrick,
    I don't think I've seen any liners with the broard arrow on?
    Or do you mean the quality control mark a C with an arrow through it.
    Be good to see some pics of your early MkIV
    Aaron

Thumbs up Re: British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Aaron,
    thank you for replying and thank you for putting me right again,I am still learning.It is a C with an arrow thru it and No 30 or 80 under it.I thought all arrows were War depart. wether WD was there or not.
    Patrick

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast