Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

Well I am not going to argue with you guys as I have nothing else to add to my original post and you are clearly more knowledgeable than I . Can someone enlighten me as to the meaning of A00?

?

The AOO is most likely the steel batch number, here's a picture of a BMB 1944 made Mk3 shell, the steel batch number is WO3. Another W68
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

My problem here is that A00 is not any kind of number. If it was A01 it would be a number, and both of those examples have a number and manufacturer and model number MKIII.

?

It can be all letters or numbers, still no date or maker name near it?

Here is a zoomed out picture, still no name or mark. I can see the reason for scepticism but I do have a lot of British helmets already (only one other more conventional MKIII with the brown textured paint) and it was a 'In the hand purchase'. I would not of bothered you guys with it if I hadn't felt it was 'different'.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

As the letters are vertical to the rim it will be a BMB made shell.
    The standard paint finish for all military helmets in 41/42 was textured khaki green, I see no reason why they would not have used that same colour on the trial Mk3.
    Early Mk3's 43/44 are textured khaki green.

jwp
    ?

Here's a turtle I picked up recently, can't find any date on the shell but the liner is marked BMB 111 1945 and has a lift the dot fastener, the inside of the helmet is painted smooth brown and the outside a textured olive green, the chin strap has what may be a service number on it. I take it this will be a late war or maybe post war mark IV ?.
    cheers,
    John.

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

It's a Mk4, shell might be a 1945 dated one, but most likely 1950's. Have you a pic of the rim join & also the service number on the strap.

jwp
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    It's a Mk4, shell might be a 1945 dated one, but most likely 1950's. Have you a pic of the rim join & also the service number on the strap.
    British MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmetBritish MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

?

It's an BMB made shell, date/maker name will be vertical to the rim 2-3" either side of the rim join, mostly.
    The service number on the chin strap is for soldiers who served from 1950-)Oct' 1955.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast