Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

?

Yes, the Mk3A strap is broken, should have three parts, two elasticated ends and a non stretch middle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

hi chaps...just thought I would add some picks of a new mk3 into this group. Its nicely painted, with evidence of the original light green under a top coat of brown - hopefully both are ww2...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

Any pictures of the inside?

?

Exclamation

I recently acquired this nice MK3 with a 1951 liner and post-war olive chinstrap.

I haven’t been able to find any visible stamps yet, I suspect they’re under the paint work.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

?

I have seen plenty of Mk2 helmets refurbished post war with this heavy brown textured paint, but never a Mk3.
    Thanks for showing.

I've looked through a lot of postings, and I'm probably missing something, but is there are particular significance/meaning/clue to this rim joint on a Mklll ?

I ask because in some ways it is a bit strange; no makers mark (well, not that unusual) but painted inside and out a grey/green essentially smooth (slight texture to touch) finish. The paint seems to be a single coat and is flaking at one point near the rim, showing bare metal beneath. No part of the helmet is magnetic. Otherwise it looks normal.

I'm not a British WW2 collector so not entirely up with all the detail but I do have quite a lot of Mklll/lV and this one is a bit odd.

?

Yes Greg, that rim join is for the RO&Co or F&L Mk3. The rim join for the BMB sort of overlaps at an angle.
    Here's an RO&Co rim join.

?

An F&L, Although this is not a classic looking rim join.
    The RO&Co, and F&L the rim join butts up with four stamping.
    These two makers helmets paint quite often seems less textured than the BMB.

?

Classic looking BMB rim join, and the only Mk3 to be painted in khaki green by BMB.
    Then later dark brown.

?

No stamping/ spot weld either side of the rim join by BMB.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast