Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

British Motor Cyclist's helmets of WWII

Article about: Hi Guys, this is the second pattern helmet introduced for wear by "Don R's" or Motorcycle despatch riders. The first pattern helmet was not steel but was like civvy bike helmets of

I did notice that, nice to see! I love these helmets for their utter simplicity. And actually comfortable to wear.

I have put this video up on local Facebook page but it is worth sharing here as well as plenty of early helmets in shot.
    Canadian Despatch Riders training in 1942.
    1942 CANADIAN ARMY FILM UNIT " MOTORCYCLE TRAINING " WWII INSTRUCTIONAL FILM NORTON 16H 16314 - YouTube

It is all shot around Bordon in Hampshire with some local landmarks such as Headley Mill, Bordon Parade Square, Hogmoor Road and Broxhead Common.

?

Thank you, I saw it on the FB page, I lived at Whitehill.

Whitehill and Bordon have changed a lot with the 5000 houses going in. Still the ranges are a constant reminder of the Army which is great. I live in Headley but was from Froyle originally, I have not gone far ......
    My Mum would of been your Nit Nurse , Nitty Nora the bug explorer !

I think the video is great, it has been quite difficult finding images of the local military history and the link with Canadians.

Here's a very late addition to this excellent thread. A pulp helmet made by C.C.L. in 1942. I'm not sure if the lighter green paint is original or a later colour but it's in pretty good condition inside and out. It also has nice signs of service use and wear, as I prefer. I've not been able to narrow down the insignia on the front, though. The blue and red could obviously be RA, but when looking closer it's apparent that the background rectangle is blue, the white number is on this, then something red and messy has been applied over the top half.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Matthew

MatthewBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWIIBritish Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII

Here are some picture's me of the steel lid.
    I found it two years ago in the Czech Republic
    British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII

?

Royal engineers, nice to see a used HSDR, instead of the more common unissued ones.

Yes, that's a very nicely marked and used helmet shell from the 21st Army Group. Unusual (to me at least) having the lighter triangles painted on the front and back. I assume they used to be white and have turned more of a dirty cream colour through age. That helmet was definitely there.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13