Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British Wardens Helmet

Article about: I just picked this one up! Found in 2004 at Altrincham Railway Station during an attic clearance. Dated 1939: This British helmet provided protection not only for the armed forces but for ma

Default British Wardens Helmet

I just picked this one up! Found in 2004 at Altrincham Railway Station during an attic clearance.

Dated 1939: This British helmet provided protection not only for the armed forces but for many civilians carrying out official duties. The black paint and the letters 'W' indicate that this one belonged to an Air Raid Warden.

Cheers
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Wardens Helmet   British Wardens Helmet  

British Wardens Helmet  

Default Re: British Wardens Helmet

Hi Dan, superb example and it is really nice that you know where it came from. Always a bonus.

Being a member of ARP was a pretty thankless task at times. Telling people to "Get that light out!" did not make you a popular figure. The caricature of the typical ARP Warden is now engrained in the popular imagination thanks to "Warden Hodges" in "Dad's Army". This is really a disservice to those who performed sterling work during the war.

Who is the maker of yours?

I have an an example too, shown on the forum.

Cheers, Ade.

nice one mate

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Who is the maker of yours?

I have an an example too, shown on the forum.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the info!
    Maybe you can help further: It says:
    6 3/4
    VERO
    I

Cheers
    Dan

Hi Dan,
    Thats a nice helmet you have the condition is superb, they usualy
    get thrown around be worden!. You should get a nice whistle
    and A.R.P badge ect, it will make a great display.
    Dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Dan,
    Thats a nice helmet you have the condition is superb, they usualy
    get thrown around be worden!. You should get a nice whistle
    and A.R.P badge ect, it will make a great display.
    Dave.
    Thanks! That's a great idea

Hi Dan, I expect you know the obvious info, but I will add it here for info's sake, along with the makers name:

The 6 3/4 is the head size.
    Vero = Everett W. Vero & Co. London
    Helmet type and date I 1939.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dan, I expect you know the obvious info, but I will add it here for info's sake, along with the makers name:

The 6 3/4 is the head size.
    Vero = Everett W. Vero & Co. London
    Helmet type and date I 1939.

Cheers, Ade.
    I didnt know the obvious, so cheers
    It looks to have been originally Green so I assume it was originally made for the frontline!?

Cheers for the help

Hi Dan, yes, these were all destined for the Army and were originally green/service brown and were repainted for Civil Defence useage.

In the garage where I take my vehicles for their annual "MOT" there is a great white painted civil defence lid hanging up. The ownwers late Father served first in the CD then in the Royal Corps of Signals, so his early issue "Don R" helmet also hangs on the wall. Plus his boots and goggles! I stand there in each year while waiting for the inspection thinking, just fail the car and give me the lids instead

Cheers, Ade.

Hahaha! Brilliant!
    The place I get my Motorcycle tested has a Tank gun barrell wrapped up in sheets on the floor & a load of ww2 motorcycles collecting dust in the back! I will have to ask about them nextime i am in