Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Brodie helmet,military or civilian ??

Article about: Picked this helmet up in a local shop pre-covid !, it has the makers mark RO&CO. OG 1939 on the helmet and Helmets Ltd 1939 6 1/2 on the liner. It is painted in a brown shade but where i

jwp
    ?

Default Brodie helmet,military or civilian ??

Picked this helmet up in a local shop pre-covid !, it has the makers mark RO&CO. OG 1939 on the helmet and Helmets Ltd 1939 6 1/2 on the liner. It is painted in a brown shade but where it has chipped off appears black underneath. the helmet has been painted with the liner in place as there is brown paint on the liner which looked to me as though it had been applied by spray. looks like it is not the original nut and bolt holding the liner. There is a name and number scratched under the rim and had also been painted under the liner with the same brown paint. The name is 307631 BUCKNILL , if it is military that number was of a block allocated to the Royal Horse Guards I think. would be interested in your thoughts on this one,many thanks,
    Cheers, John.

If originally black my money would be on Civil....and there’s nothing wrong with that.....

civil helmet repainted to look a bit like desert camo, no idea when or why, could be legit.....or not
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

many thanks both, only cost £12 so not too bad, can add it to my collection of khaki drill stuff for display purposes !!!!

A pity it got sprayed later, would have been worth a bit more if it had been left as was.

You’ll be the best judge having it in hand...but could it have been painted khaki during the war or at least a looooong time ago. There’s LOADS of Home Fronters which ended the war a different colour to that they started......just sayin’.....

jwp
    ?

its possible, looks like it was done a while ago, the name and service number made me curious !

Fireman often put their names and numbers in the inside of their helmets

jwp
    ?

good point, never thought of that , oddly though the number and name under the liner are done in the same paint as the outer, maybe used by a re-enactor ?,
    cheers, John.
    Last edited by jwp; 11-09-2020 at 11:27 PM.