Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Camo British Helmet

Article about: Hi Guys, this has just come into work today. A real one for a change and an actual barn find! Sadly no liner. But I was pleased to see it and it will be going into my March sale here at Bamf

Default Camo British Helmet

Hi Guys, this has just come into work today. A real one for a change and an actual barn find! Sadly no liner. But I was pleased to see it and it will be going into my March sale here at Bamfords Auctioneers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camo British Helmet   Camo British Helmet  

Camo British Helmet   Camo British Helmet  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This helmet made a good price.

But since then the buyer has cleaned it slightly on the front and is now on ebay;

British Helmet camo | eBay

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi Ade,
    When you say ‘cleaned it slightly on the front’, do you mean ‘ruined it slightly on the front’?
    Bloody tragic. A once beautiful, untouched piece of history.. now looks like another fake.

Nice to know it has been authenticated by someone who knows what he is talking about but now we see "Ebay fairy dust" in the air with the comment "Clearly (really?) it looks like a Malta camo but I have set a low starting price so you can make your own minds up(well thank you very much). Perhaps a service number on the rim?"

I suppose it could be a service number but given the font and method of application I doubt it. What is clear is that it is a number Or am I being cynical?
    Not sure about the decal theory either. It seems a bit of a large area, red oxide perhaps? The scribble on the front looks to me like the result of it doing service in a post war childs game.

It's a decent item that doesn't need sexing up!

Thanks for posting Ade

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Looking at the comparison photos I don’t think it has had anything added to it but it has been cleaned with something relatively corrosive as it’s left a residue on the inside.
    If you look at Ades pictures you can see that there was something circular with bits of red on the front before. Marked with the red circle you can see it, however, the area marked with the blue circle is not visible.
    Whatever has been done to it I think it should have been left alone and I’ll be amazed if they see their £240 + commission back!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camo British Helmet   Camo British Helmet  

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Hi Ade,
    When you say ‘cleaned it slightly on the front’, do you mean ‘ruined it slightly on the front’?
    Bloody tragic. A once beautiful, untouched piece of history.. now looks like another fake.
    Being my usual diplomatic self

I was really disappointed when I saw it.

Well apparently it sold for £312 which shows what I know!!

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Well apparently it sold for £312 which shows what I know!!
    Or more to the point, what the buyer doesn't know

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Maybe it’s just me, but even if there had been nothing wrong with it, I still think it’s a very high price for what is essentially a helmet in relic condition.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but even if there had been nothing wrong with it, I still think it’s a very high price for what is essentially a helmet in relic condition.
    No it isn't you but sadly the uninformed with more money than knowledge do tend to make things difficult for the rest of us by enthusiastically overpaying

It isn't even a matter of "supply and demand" because it only takes one idiot who doesn't know any better and just "has to have it"

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast