Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

The Canadian Mk II and its components

Article about: This thread is meant to be a quick referral to the Canadian Mk II helmet and its components and only covers the basic facts. The information hear in was gathered from multiple on line source

YouTube

The kid in this video also states that the maker mark and date are on the top exterior of the helmet. He also says that his helmet is a CL/C. The picture I posted earlier is also made by CL/C so maybe this was slightly more common on their helmets than we think? I wonder if either of the other two manufacturers ever had the exterior stampings.

?

Finding the Manufacture name, date and steel lot batch number stamped on the exterior of the helmet body is strictly an anomaly in my honest opinion having over 80 Canadian Mk II helmets in my personal collection and researching them now for a number of years I can honestly say these are the only two examples I have seen like this and I would hazard to guess that the sheet metal was put in the press upside down...
    Now with this said other anomalies in regards to stampings do exist on Canadian Mk II's which would be expected during production ...

Regards Mark

?

Having just now read this thread, I want to thank Mark for his efforts.

I have a small collection of Commonwealth WWII helmets, among them two are Canadian made. One is a G.S.W. and the other is a C.L./C. Both of these have what appear to be British liner attachment screws and one his missing several of the liner buffers.

How does one go about finding correct replacement parts for these helmets? Are there some well known sources with available stock or has it come to the cannibalizing of other helmets of lesser value? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

?

Unfortunately no, parts are hard to come by more so than the helmets themselves. My local Military store has about 50 linerless helmets but can't find liners or screws. Unfortunately unless you want to go the reproduction route you are having to do the cannibalize route. You can get lucky sometimes and get them off of ebay but it is more luck than anything.

I’ve been reading through this wonderful thread, hoping to find an answer to a question I have. Namely, did Canada provide Mk.II helmets to the U.S. military? I have a helmet stamped CL/C and dated 1943. It appears to be in its original paint, a green that’s different than what I’m used to seeing on Canadian Mk.II helmets of the period. Also, it has an American-style M1917A1 liner and chin strap. If this is a US military helmet, who would have been wearing it in 1943, after the adoption of the M-1 helmet?

?

Hallibag unfortunately all I can do is speculate on these variants as I can find no information in regards to why they have been refitted with a US M-1917-A1 liner with that said I can assure you that your example is not a one off ..
    I myself 1'st encountered these modified Canadian Mk II's over 30 years ago and have seen them surface in the marketplace on occasion one can be found at the Collectors Source at the link below the seller offers a theory in his item description which I have not been able to substantiate with any period documentation and or images... collectorssource.com/headwear/canadian-mk-ii-helmet-shell-with-us-1917a1-liner.html

Regards Mark

?

Here is my Canadian MK2 Auxiliaries Services helmet.

In 1942, the Canadian Department of Pensions & Health ordered Canadian MK2 helmets for the Air Raid Precautions Services (ARP) to be issued mainly to Warden, Police & firefighters. In order to conserve manganese steel the Auxiliaries Services helmets would be made of mild steel, the rim of those helmet made with magnetic steel. At the same time National Defence authorised the transfert of 30,000 rejected new MK2 helmets to Auxiliaries Services.

This helmet was manufactured by G.S.W.: General Steel Wares
    for D O & H: Canadian Department of Pensions & Health.

The chinstrap attachment points are welded.

Pictured: Personnel of the Royal Canadian Navy Air Raid Precaution (ARP) squad in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, November 4, 1942. Credit: SLt Byron Johnston Baillie / Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-106017.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6