Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

Article about: Here is a List of Helmet & Liner Manufacturers as a reference for quick identification of markings on Commonwealth WW2 - MkII Helmets and Liners. It has been compiled from various posts

A new liner manufacturer? I think G.N.L. (U) 1940

Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

?

I think it is SNL, S E Norris Ltd.

I think I've just come up with the Mk2 equivalent of Sheldon's "Fun with Flags"!

I'm sure, like me, you've all been looking at the stitching pattern on the Rexine liner tabs and wondering if there's a relationship between the pattern of the stitching rows and the manufacturers of the liners.....and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that there is....how exciting is that!!

It's starting to look like it's possible to determine a liners maker without having to spit on your finger......now how COVID-responsible is that? I've come up with 4 patterns (which I've named) and cross-ref'd them to a whole bunch (that's for you US types) of MK2 liners - the stitching appears to be manufacturer-specific...and I'm now wondering if it's PERIOD-specific too.

You can take your Westinghouse Pigskin Riddell pads and read 'em and weep - THIS is where the Liner news is!

Jees..this "Lockdown" seriously has some sh!t to answer for right?! :-) ....but it's true......I'm serious.....

Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner ManufacturersCommonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

...my next book "Mk2 Helmet Liner Tab Stitching Patterns" will be available in the Spring.

?

I have a mk2 with a J C S & W 1939 liner. The only markings on the shell are STC stamped front and rear on the brim. Is this a known stamp? Many thanks

Pictures would help

?

Sorry, I was on my phone and couldn't see that option. Here you go.

Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner ManufacturersCommonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

Are there any stamps next to the strap retaining lugs?

?

No, no other markings on the shell or lugs that I can see.

I'm not sure where you are Mr/Mrs Wills...if in UK I'd go out on a limb and suggest this is a Company/Factory initials where the helmet was worn rather than made....most companies had an ARP force during the war...some painted their initials on the front of the helmets along with a role identifier (W, FAP, DC etc) and others stamped their mark on the inner brim....but someone here may know differently

?

Thank you very much for the reply, very interesting. Some more images of the helmet attached. Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner ManufacturersCommonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast