Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Desert Camo South African Helmet?

Article about: Hello everyone, I have recently acquired this helmet which I belive is a South African helmet with desert camo, but could be wrong. There are three holes drilled on the back which I belive w

?

Default Desert Camo South African Helmet?

Hello everyone,
    I have recently acquired this helmet which I belive is a South African helmet with desert camo, but could be wrong. There are three holes drilled on the back which I belive was for a neck flap wich seems to be common on South African helmets. The liner does not look like a South African liner with the felt pad but instead looks like a british liner dated 1949. I can not find any markings on the shell, wich they may have been covered up by the thick tan paint. Also does anyone know if South Africa manufactured their own helmet shells because the seam of the rim is on the side near where the chinstrap attachments are rather then the front or back.
    Whatever it is it definitely looks interesting.

Any information would certainly be helpful and I would be happy to stand corrected if any of this is incorrect.
    Any replys or comments are welcome and help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Desert Camo South African Helmet?Desert Camo South African Helmet?
    Desert Camo South African Helmet?Desert Camo South African Helmet?

?

Hi Daniel, Yes, it's a South African helmet which is original to ww2.
    But that's where it stops unfortunately, the liner is British and post war, the chin strap is British and used on the home front in ww2. The nut and bolt is also British.

?

Thank you very much for the reply. That was what I was thinking about that liner. Still an interesting piece of history even if the liner is post war.
    If anyone else has any additional information it would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks again,
    Daniel