Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help with British WW2 helmet sizing

Article about: Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm considering buying a british helmet dated 1942 but I'm not sure of its size. I will be asking the owner to check for me but I wanted to know if someone could

Default Re: Help with British WW2 helmet sizing

All Canadian MkII helmet liners are marked somewhere. All liners would be made by VMC(Viceroy Manufacturing Co.)

The size is usually marked on one of the fibre braces that make up the crown of the liner. They can be stamped anywhere on the braces so removal of the liner may be nessessary. There will also be a C-Broad Arrow stamped in white.

And no, Mk.II liners are not one size fits all...several sizes were manufactured.

If the price is right I would still buy it, liners are not so hard to come by. Securing bolts and cross pads....thats another story.

I think what we are all saying is that the HSAT shell was manufactured in a "one size fits all" and it was the associated liner that came in a number of head sizes.

As you all know, WW2 German helmet shells were manufactured in a number of sizes as were the associated helmet liners.

Great question and info provided from everyone.

Best, Chris.

Quote by PembrokeYeo View Post
    I think what we are all saying is that the HSAT shell was manufactured in a "one size fits all" and it was the associated liner that came in a number of head sizes.

As you all know, WW2 German helmet shells were manufactured in a number of sizes as were the associated helmet liners.

Great question and info provided from everyone.

Best, Chris.
    For clarity I just assumed we were talking about the MkII and don't see any reference to HSAT (Helmet Steel Airborne Troops).

Either way the answer is the same, the liners were made in different sizes but the shells were not.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

My mistake Mark, but thanks for confirming the "one shell fits all" statement I made for both the Mk11 and the HSAT. Best, Chris.

Actually the para helmet came in two shell sizes, not sure on tankers or dr's though I assume they were the same, but mkii and mkiii/IV shells were only manufactured in one size.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Actually the para helmet came in two shell sizes, not sure on tankers or dr's though I assume they were the same, but mkii and mkiii/IV shells were only manufactured in one size.
    Thanks Jerry I'm not sure if I forgot that or just didn't know (should know I used to wear one ) but I am pretty sure the DR and av Crew lids are all one size and it is the liners that vary for the purpose of this question especially concerning the MkII helmet

Best

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It's great that we can have this discussion 12 years on from when the original question was posed.

Jerry, Mark, do you know what the head measurement range was for each size of para shell? e.g. 6 1/2 to say 7 1/4; 7 1/4 to 8.0. P.S. I don't intend to wear one supermarket shopping, just interested!

Was the para shell a unique pressing or was it also used for the tank crew and dispatch rider helmets, noting that the holes for the attachment of the harness were specific to the use of the shell?

Best, Chris.

I don't know off hand what the size ranges were, but I know the three shells, para, Dr and tank were the same shell with different holes. I think the para came in medium and large sizes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2