Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hessian helmet covers

Article about: Recently a number of New Zealand made hessian helmet covers have come on to the market. Most are in mint unissued condition, stored since the war. They are dated 1942 and made by B.C.N.B.Ltd

heres another that i have the lid shows very clear traces of having had one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers   Hessian helmet covers  

Hessian helmet covers  

My two purchased 10+ years ago here in NZ were the first one's released by the museum from this cache and both have the same markings posted. Used ones occasionally come up too, and I've seen a few green ones sold over the years of identical make. These were NZ Army inventory, handed over to the museum (which currently displays a few on mannequins) and onsold as surplus, and i have no doubt that this new lot are from the same source. The camp and museum are co-located in the same place. This is a normal deaccessioning method museums use to raise money and clear inventory no longer required.

There have been some neat caches here in NZ. In the 60s the NZ Army sold their surplus helmets to the grocery store Woolworths and tin helmets were sold in big bins to kids in the super market. Some really amazing ones turned up that way.

SMP
    ?

Is there any news on who bought the majority of these covers ? I haven't seen any for sale besides the few already mentioned.

I and my friends bought 11

SMP
    ?

Brit covers with loops
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hessian helmet covers  

Wink

Hessian wasn't restricted to Military use...here's a cover which was worn over the top of a Chief Warden's lid (white with 2 black stripes) to hide his white-ness and his "rank". When Operation Sea Lion was considered imminent there was a lot of concern amongst the senior Civil folk that they'd be identified by their white helmets and given "special" treatment by the evil invader...."eye's too close together" etc. During Air Raids there was also concern that their white lids were visible from the air and that enemy fighters would dive down and strafe the senior leadership.

This one is a genuine piece....and came with a bright orange cover....presumably for when the skies were clear and he wanted EVERYONE to know who/what he was! :-) ...but that one's not hessian so doesn't belong here....but it's in the nearly-sold out book! ;-)

Hessian helmet covers

?

These covers are absolutely Indian-made covers for New Zealand. The Broad arrow is in the classic Indian style.

Here is a set of Indian-made 'Anklets, Web' manufactured by B.C.N. & B. LD. My guess it that BCN is an name and the last B stands for Brother.

Hessian helmet covers

Hessian helmet covers

India and New Zealand were both in the Eastern Group Supply Council EGSC and India did send supplies to New Zealand during the war, as outlined here...

Hessian helmet covers

?

Great bit of information.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast