MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?

Article about: Hello all. Have owned this helmet for a few years and got it cheap, so no worries either way. Obviously it has been messed with, but want your opinions on which bits, if any, might be origin

?

Default HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?

Hello all.

Have owned this helmet for a few years and got it cheap, so no worries either way.
    Obviously it has been messed with, but want your opinions on which bits, if any, might be original?
    Has been repainted inside and out. This repaint goes onto the crash pad, so presumably that was in there when it was done.
    Can't see any traces of extra holes, so presume the shell is genuine?
    Have ideas about the rest, but would appreciate your thoughts.
    Chinstrap has an extra repair patch added.
    Best wishes.HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?

?

If you need any other specific images, please say.
    Looks like front bolts were also changed after repaintHSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?HSAT Airborne Helmet. Wrong, but how wrong?

?

Don't need to give away any details that will help the fakers. Just general thoughts. Thanks.

?

Repainted as you said, all the nuts and bolts look replaced. The straps look ok, although the chamois doesn't. I have seen yellow rubber on the Mk1, but not double thickness, so not sure if that is right.
    Dome pad has probably been replaced too.

?

Thanks Tinlid. What are your thoughts on the net? Does that have a chance of being wartime? The hessian scrim appears to be painted green etc. It fits on a mk3.

?

Not sure why anyone would paint it. Looks like it has pretty much perfect paint beneath.

?

Having another look at the helmet, and have noticed that there is a name and number on both of the leather straps. One clearly says 4663. The other is much harder to read, but I believe it possibly says (W M) 4663 KARL. Anyone have any suggestions what the (WM) could stand for? The W is a guess though really. 4663, if a British service number, would mean RASC I believe, but not sure if Karl is a very likely 1940s name though? Another country perhaps? Any suggestions anyone? Long shot I suppose, but someone might be able to come up with something

Many Thanks.

?

2 things....sadly I can't help you with this one....I'll rely on Aaron and others input but:-

1) we've all got lids which we got YEARS ago...cheap...and we loved them when we got them...but over time we've harboured doubts and they have grown further...it's our own fault for learning and researching (which is good by the way) BUT I can't simply ditch such items...they were special when I got them and the investment was so small (comparatively) I don't see that as anything other than sunk cost and learning experience

2) thank you so much for taking the time to take such good photos - the item dominates, no distractions, colour reflections etc - well done