Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I could use some help identifying this French M26 helmet

Article about: Hi guys, I would like to hear your opinions on this M26 helmet. The thing I'm most worried about is the 1st generation RF badge on the front of the helmet. I have searched through the databa

Default I could use some help identifying this French M26 helmet

Hi guys,

I would like to hear your opinions on this M26 helmet. The thing I'm most worried about is the 1st generation RF badge on the front of the helmet.
    I have searched through the database but can't find any info on it. I have also never seen it on this style of helmet before as far as I know.
    Any info is appreciated. Do you think this is original or that the emblem has been added later?

Thanks in advance!

I could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmet

You can easily remove the liner to see how the insignia is attached which may give you a clue, I do like the helmet/chin strap & liner but for the rest I'm useless.

Thanks for the response! I will ask the seller how the badge is attached and post a picture here if he sends me one! I agree with you that the helmet and liner/chinstrap seem to be authentic.
    Last edited by MisterSwag; 04-30-2020 at 11:17 AM.

As promised.

I could use some help identifying this French M26 helmetI could use some help identifying this French M26 helmet

?

The helmet, as said looks nice, it is very common to see first generation badge on this model of helmet. The badge is not standard for army but that does not mean that it isn't original, it could mean Gendarmarie use. See this link for more information, scroll to the bottom for examples of brass badges.

World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours.

The extra images supplied does not show the badge mounting, they show fixing for the comb, the badge fixing will be under the rectangle spring clip.

There are better informed Adrian helmet members on the forum, hopefully they will comment.
    Steve

Thanks for the responde Steve! No matter the fact that there might be people here that are more informed on Adrian helmets, your response was very helpful!

Hello,

Sorry for my late post as I do not look for french helmet often in this category that in stated for Commonwealth allies (Things are what they are)

The shell is for civil defence. This is noticieable by the number 2 stamped on it (picture N°6)

The grenade is for the "garde republicaine", brass modele adopted in 27. For the standard "gendarmerie" it is the maillechort (sylver colorer) M21 grenade.

I must admit I am not fully confortatble with this combinaison and would have prefered either a Maillechort grenade on the helmet or a dark blue helmet with the brass grenade

Bruno