Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was lost but now I am found - M1917A1 Kelly

Article about: This was my first helmet as a child if I remember correctly. I went off to college and 4 years later it was gone. Searched my parents house for years but couldn't find it. Assumed one of my

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    MAP,

Very nice helmet and I think I found your maker...

As you may know the Brodie helmet was a British design and since the US did not have a combat helmet at the time of WW1, they relied on the design from the British...with some modifications to the inner pads as well as chin strap attachments..

The US first received a shipment of helmet shells in order to supply the Army and later developed the M1917A1 with better ballistic protection and other minor modifications..

The Heat stamp I believe is British and reads HV 670..

H= The manufacturer which was W. Hutton and Sons
    V= Vickers LTD which was the steel supplier
    670 is the Batch number for the steel..

Here is a link to some information regarding the British Markings.. Your HV contract/heat stamp information is one pictured as an example..

British and Commonwealth WW1 and WW2 Brodie Helmets and Maker Stamps - Helmets and Headgear - Treasure Bunker Forum
    I just noticed, one of my WW1 painted US Brody is an W. Hutton and Sons as well. Different steel batch code though.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Mom, please accept my condolences.I had a similar occurence happen to me,when I was ten years old we moved into the house I grew up in and my Dad was cleaning out a closet in a upstairs bedroom and found what I believe was a black woolen Panzer overseas cap with the eagle and cockade.Well about two years later the dog chewed about a three inch square hole in the lining. To make this brief I forgot about this hat and found out about thirty years ago my Mom threw it out.

Bill
    Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very sorry about the loss of your mother, RIP.
    Thanks Bill/Gunny. She lived a long full life and passed peacefully from old age. It was time.
    Last edited by MAP; 04-26-2020 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Typo

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP, I can see why you were so excited to re-discover that helmet. Amazing condition considering the extremes in temperature it went through. I can see all sorts of groupings in your horizon. Its funny how finding a childhood item or toy can evoke so many memories so I’m glad you found it again.
    Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    MAP, I can see why you were so excited to re-discover that helmet. Amazing condition considering the extremes in temperature it went through. I can see all sorts of groupings in your horizon. Its funny how finding a childhood item or toy can evoke so many memories so I’m glad you found it again.
    Andy
    Thanks Andy...Will need to think of a grouping for this. I have 8 (Kelly/Brodies). Maybe I can do a group shot.

?

MAP sorry to hear about your mom. Any photos of the GI Joe . Gary

MAP
    ?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    MAP sorry to hear about your mom. Any photos of the GI Joe . Gary
    Still in the cardboard box. Got to go thru it. Not a lot of stuff and most of the stuff is pretty beat up. I played hard..lol

I think there are just two complete action figures and some clothing and equipment. I saw evidence of firecracker damage

I do remember that our puppy when I was a teenager and after I stopped playing with them, chewed through and destroyed half a dozen Joes

?

Nooooooo not Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2