Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Irish MKII AFS Helmet markings

Article about: Hi guys Acquired a MKII shell last night used by the Irish AFS. I’ve come across pictures of their helmets with dots/pips on the side to denote rank but my shell seems to have had a stripe

?

Default Irish MKII AFS Helmet markings

Hi guys
    Acquired a MKII shell last night used by the Irish AFS. I’ve come across pictures of their helmets with dots/pips on the side to denote rank but my shell seems to have had a stripe running from back to front at some stage which really stands out under UV light. Anyone seen anything similar or have any idea of its purpose.
    Thanks
    Chris

Irish MKII AFS Helmet markingsIrish MKII AFS Helmet markings

I would assume the earlier marking is from when it was in british use, such as for a warden etc, as most if not all irish used AFS helmets were reused british examples.

My irish afs has the large letters but also smaller letters underneath and three dots as rank.

I think irish afs helmets and their markings are not well understood.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Irish MKII AFS Helmet markings   Irish MKII AFS Helmet markings  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry
    The stripe is just over half an inch in width. If you look closely at the letters it looks like they were painted around when the red paint was applied rather than stuck on top of it. The letters have also been touched up. I’m wondering if it was originally a British AFS helmet that was painted over because any other Irish AFS helmets, yours being a good example, I’ve seen have larger letters with full stops in between.

Quote by Jimir View Post
    Thanks Jerry
    The stripe is just over half an inch in width. If you look closely at the letters it looks like they were painted around when the red paint was applied rather than stuck on top of it. The letters have also been touched up. I’m wondering if it was originally a British AFS helmet that was painted over because any other Irish AFS helmets, yours being a good example, I’ve seen have larger letters with full stops in between.
    if you look carefully you can see the traces of the smaller AFS lettering underneath, though if they were british or an earlier version of irish lettering I do not know
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry
    Yes see the remains of the old letters now, very similar in size to my own.