Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner

Article about: Collecting ww1/2 helmets, I bought a M1 US helmet some years ago as I believed I should have at least one M1 helmet as my collection would feel empty without this iconic one. In contrast to

Default M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner

Collecting ww1/2 helmets, I bought a M1 US helmet some years ago as I believed I should have at least one M1 helmet as my collection would feel empty without this iconic one.
    In contrast to my other helmets, one way or another I did not dug in myself into the history of this helmet, because it was ‘just an M1 helmet’.
    But now I realised maybe I was wrong.
    Now that I gathered some information on the net this should be a Mc Cord and looking at the heat stamp 357B I would say this helmet was produced between october and december 1942.
    The cardboard liner is in a bad state and should be made by the Hawley Company (or was there more than one manufacturer ? ) but I found an ink stamp that seems to mention another company. There is also another ink stamp that has faded to much to read.
    Thanks for any input !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner   M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner  

M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner   M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner  

M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner   M1 US helmet fixed bales with cardboard liner  

Maybe I did not specify my question correctly : does anyone know what the ink stamp stands for ?

Hi there.

It looks like M.S & S.M co stands for the Midwest Shoe and Slipper Manufacturing Company.

You can see another example about two thirds the way down the page in the link below -
    The M1 Helmet Liner Headband: Manufacturers & Variations

Kind regards,

Will.

That liner got hammered but it is a nice shell.

Well, it is cardboard with some light tissue on it and it just feels like cardboard. I am suprised that it is in this condition after more than 80 years...I wonder what happened to it when it became repeatedly wet in the field...