Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question

Article about: Does anyone know of a list that identifies the M1917 helmet manufacturers with the stampings on the brim of the helmets? I have a nice M1917 with a stamping of ZE33, and would like to know w

Default M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question

Does anyone know of a list that identifies the M1917 helmet manufacturers with the stampings on the brim of the helmets? I have a nice M1917 with a stamping of ZE33, and would like to know what the numbers mean, and what company manufactured the helmet. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question   M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question  

M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question   M1917 Helmet Manufacturer Question  

?

I can't find a reference linking manufacturer to the stamp, I think the stamp is material batch coding. The British made helmets the stamp did link to the manufacturer.
    Happy to be proven wrong though.

Steve.

The first letter is the steel supplier, the second letter is the company that pressed the helmet and the number is a sequential lot assigned by the Ordnance Department.

Thanks for your replies. Is there a list somewhere that states: Z is company "X", and E is company "Y"?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Tarfu43 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Is there a list somewhere that states: Z is company "X", and E is company "Y"?
    a few letters have been ID'ed to a company but most have not. I don't actively study these so I don't have a list of those that have. Quick google searches usually gets some information. But hopeful that member AEF1917 might have some more to add here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks very much for the links, aef1917. I appreciate it.