Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

Article about: This just arrived in the mail today. Nothing fancy. Basically a blue over painted M1917A1 Kelly helmet. I purchased this helmet from a well respected fellow collector. He purchased the helme

Great helmet. Bringing back to top. Great condition too. Would go beautifully w all my Navy Blue helmets. Really went down the rabbit hole researching this man. He lives on today 10/29/2021. Nice job. I would like to hold this guy in my hands. One of the “chill factor” helmets that I only experience w some. Thanks for sharing this w me
    Z

MAP
    ?

Thanks Z.

Still lots of gaps and holes to fill but I gave up. There is at least enough information to get a good picture of him and his career as well as placing him there on Dec 7th.

Really an iconic item. I'm glad I own it. Been meaning to by an old Dec 7th Newspaper so I can create a mini display. Then last year I found a huge box on War Time Newspapers in my parents attic. Still need to go through it.....maybe I'll get lucky

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Map, Ft Ruger is about 30 minutes from my home. Visited the area frequently and there is a lot to see in and around Diamond Head.

Regarding Battery Harlow, I think it is yet accessible.

I've taken a map that has less clutter in it, highlighted the area in yellow.

The aerial image that actually illustrates where the battery is located shows it is a short distance from the Community college parking lot and across the street from the Ft Ruger Chapel. An easy walk for sure.

The images of the battery itself, it's remaining hulk of concrete is imaged as well.

The cannon/mortars are similar to what was once there but these are not of battery Harlow but posted to give a snapshot of what it looked like when an active battery.

Wonderful find of Morgan's helmet and gear. You might want to consider contacting the Ft Derussy Army museum ( https://hiarmymuseumsoc.org/ ) and speak with the curator to see if they can provide more images of Battery Harlow. Explain to her your a historical researcher helping Morgans family get more information.

You might get fortunate and get images of Morgan and the crew he was with as the museum has a great wealth of historical imagery and other documents available.

A side note, my wifes family is from Honolulu. Her father, now deceased (LTC, Retired) grew up in Manoa valley. At one time his parents had the largest banana plantation on the island. She and her family are Japanese. My wifes grandfather is a WWI vet, buried in Punchbowl cemetery. He was activated as a warden just after the 7 Dec 41 attack on Pearl Harbor. While many Japanese families were interred, my wifes dads side family was not due to his military service.

One visit to the old plantation home, I was doing renovation work and found his WWI Warden helmet he wore from 8 Dec 41 onward until released from duty. I asked if I could obtain it and was honored to be given it. That will go to my son when that time comes as he has a Masters in WWII history. The helmet is on display in my display room. At a later time I will post images of that in another thread.

Congratulations on your getting a great ensemble, as these are really rare items to come across and be able to obtain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor   M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor  

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor   M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor  

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor   M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor  

MAP
    ?

Thanks Rich. I had a number of those photos but never added to the thread. Should have. But the Sat Image I haven't see before. Will need to save that one.

If I ever get back, I will have to bring the helmet and visit the site to take a photo

My knowledge of Oahu is faded by memory. Just know that my girl friends father lived somewhere in Honolulu and grandmother has a great classic mid century modern house on the beach. Loved the style even back in the mid 80's! LoL. I lived on Maui so only got to Oahu a handful of times.

I think I will reach out to the curator. Thanks for the contact. Hopefully I can fill in some missing pieces and get a photo.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Greetings Michael,

Had some free time and wanted to see if I could find anything about his WWI Service and well.....I think I did.

First up an article about being assigned to 121st Infantry National Guard (You can follow his other assigned WWI units on the attached docs).

Double click images to enlarge

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

His manifest on his way to France.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

My best score, his AEF Identity Card! (Off of Ancestry.com)

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

His manifest returning from France.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

Requesting a transfer out of the Philippines to Hawaii (Good call on his part).

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

A funny article about a Soldier assigned to his unit.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

A brief mention of his Son just after the Pearl Harbor attack.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

And finally, his obituary listing some of his previous assignments.

M1917A1 - Pearl Harbor

Thank you, for sharing these objects with us.

My best regards,

V/r Lance

?

The AEF photo ID

Drop the mike and walk off stage!!!!

BRAVO Lance!!!!!!

MAP
    ?

Lance. This is fantastic. I had a photo of one of the manifests but not all the other items.

The AEF card is fantastic. Finally a face to the name.

But the 2nd best item is the manifest returning from France. It is stamped return to Camp Mills. I grew up "on" Camp Mills (technical on top of Camp Mills. Post WW1 the camp land was sold and developed )

Thanks for all the work put into this

MAP
    ?

There is a small but important correction to the "story". Just goes to show how some stuff gets lost in translation. Lance was extremely helpful in uncovering documents to help me piece together the who and what.

The confusion stems primarily from the Father and Son having the same name.

Charles Morgan Sr passed away in 1962 and his wife Hazel passed away in 1967. Both passed away in the US and are buried in Arlington. At the time of her passing, their only child, Charles Jr, was apparently living in Germany and had three (?) children.

So obviously this grouping could not have been purchased from his wife Hazel (grouping was purchased in Ontario Canada in 2008).

In more digging, I uncovered that his son, Capt Charles Jr must have moved to Ontario Canada because that is where he lived and passed away in 2005.

The very important thing though is that all this helps support the provenance of the helmet as this puts Charles Jr in the same location and during the same time period as the helmet and other items.

Why was he in Canada and who was the woman that sold this? I do not know yet know her name. But she did say it was her "husbands", who passed away a "few years before". So he must have remarried sometime in the past.

Truly wonderful items and story Michael,sorry I missed this thread.love the Kelly Helmet.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Truly wonderful items and story Michael,sorry I missed this thread.love the Kelly Helmet.
    Thanks Jake. Glad this was brought back up. It was fun researching this helmet. Couldn't have done it without the help of others. Especially Lance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4