Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

Article about: Friends, could you possibly share your thoughts on this recent mk2 i have just bought please? It is a dark brown textured finish all over, inside and out, would this be army issue? I'm not f

?

Default Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

Friends, could you possibly share your thoughts on this recent mk2 i have just bought please? It is a dark brown textured finish all over, inside and out, would this be army issue? I'm not familiar with army finishes, but thought they were more green?

Unfortunately cannot see any stampings but the texture is quite thick on the underside...

Any help much appreciated. As always, thank you..
    ShaunMk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

?

The Mk2 was painted dark brown from 1943 onwards, they were also refurbished post war in this colour too. So unless you can see a date on the chin strap lugs or the rim, very hard to tell. What date is the liner?

the strap also suggests later or post war
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry,
    the Mk3 chin strap was first used from March 1941.

Either way, it’s very very rare nowadays to find a totally genuine UN-FLASHED MkII Helmet!! ��

?

Thank you as always chaps for the info. I'll try to escape to the shed sometime this weekend to have good look for a stamp... now you mention it, this paint looks very similar to a 44 mk3 i have, could that be the case?
    Also, re flashing, i'm not sure if there are the remains of insignia on the front centre of the helmet, what do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?  

Morning to all,
    if it can help, here are two similar examples of Mk2, but reconditioned in the post-war period, with liners marked 1949, attention because on these reconditioned helmets, the size no longer appears on the structure of the liner but often it is marked with an ink mold on the rubber cross, while the year of production remains marked on the spider structure but is often covered under the cross of rubber.

Regards
    Roberto

Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?
    Last edited by OldSteel; 05-27-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add info

...so post-war MkII helmet liners were not stamped at all like their war time counterparts?...I saw an ink-stamped cruciform pad yesterday.....in a WW2 Home Fronter......a retro-fit then I now suspect (as they're easy to switch).

Roberto, may I ask, is this a FACT ie supported by documents / records please?

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...so post-war MkII helmet liners were not stamped at all like their war time counterparts?...I saw an ink-stamped cruciform pad yesterday.....in a WW2 Home Fronter......a retro-fit then I now suspect (as they're easy to switch).

Roberto, may I ask, is this a FACT ie supported by documents / records please?

Hi Ade,
    no, maybe I have not explained well, I mean that from my personal experience, but I can be wrong, I have always met two types of situations:
    1) Helmets Mk2 like these, almost always of rough brown color, refitted after the war with a type of liner 1949 dated, branded as I described, perhaps a first batch of refitted helmets?
    Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

2) Other helmets Mk2 refitted after the war, in matt green color, with liner branded in classic mode, similar to those of the WW2 period but dated 50s, as you can see on models Mk3 and 4.
    Here is the photos of this variant.
    Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?Mk 2 British Helmet paint / texture advice?

Moreover I believe that there were a series of helmets assembled in the immediate post-war period, always in rough brown color, using components of the WW2 period as this example:

As I said, I tried to develop this study using my little experience, I have not found detailed documentation on this subject, so please forgive me for any inaccuracies and I will be glad to have further clarification from Forum Members more experienced.

Regards
    Roberto

.....where’s Cotton’s book when you need it?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast