Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk III/Mk IV Helmet

Article about: Hi guys got an interesting helmet here. I bought this on the assumption it was a first pattern Mk IV with the 'lift the dot' removable liner. After looking at the stamp marks on the helmet i

Default Mk III/Mk IV Helmet

Hi guys got an interesting helmet here. I bought this on the assumption it was a first pattern Mk IV with the 'lift the dot' removable liner. After looking at the stamp marks on the helmet it appears to be a shell that was pressed as a Mk III??? I have taken the best picture I could of this stamp and you can see 'M 11_' under the 1945 and I think there should be another 1 to signify that this is a Mk III but the stamp is not a clear one. If it were a Mk IV it would be present in the stamp? What do you think guys? I could get a better picture if I take the liner out but just had a little tug at it but it ain't budging and scared I may damage it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk III/Mk IV Helmet   Mk III/Mk IV Helmet  

Mk III/Mk IV Helmet   Mk III/Mk IV Helmet  

?

It's one of those in early 1945 that was pressed as a Mk3, but was eventually made into a Mk4. The Mk4 began life from early 45 with lower chin strap lugs and a rivet fixing for the liner.
    A nice production cross over.

?

Here's another Mk4, with Mk3 markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk III/Mk IV Helmet   Mk III/Mk IV Helmet