Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.

Article about: The Mk1 anti-gas curtain made of oilskin fabric was introduced in late 1939. Unfortunately it soon became apparent that liquid gas could seep under the rim of the curtain and down the inside

?

Default Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.

The Mk1 anti-gas curtain made of oilskin fabric was introduced in late 1939.
    Unfortunately it soon became apparent that liquid gas could seep under the rim of the curtain and down the inside of the helmet.
    This was rectified in June of 1940 with the Mk2 anti-gas curtain that covered the whole of the helmet.

It is quite hard to find these curtains on army helmets, most pictures show them in use on the home front.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.   Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.  

Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.   Mk2 Army with Mk1 anti-gas curtain.  

SMP
    ?

You know what I think of this one !
    It was great meeting you and Adam today .

?

Thanks.
    Good to catch up with like minded people, at the Maltings this morning.

really nice to see helmets like this.

?

Lovely... nice buy, Sir!

Didn’t get to talk to you much, but I’m glad it found a good home!

All the best,
    Bob

?

Did you pick up anything?

?

Just a commercial/civilian haversack for the service small box respirator, in rubberised canvas... grimy as you like and very well marked for the AFS (stencilled on the front). It has a real ‘sootiness’ to it - a great ‘been there’ piece. Should go nicely with my AFS recruitment poster.
    Not the greatest show I’ve had, but I rarely get to look around!

Very nice. Most of these curtains didn't survive the ravages of time...and most of those that did have been screwed up and crammed between the liner and the inner shell. I've found that such folded / crammed examples can be teased out of their hiding place with the aid of a hair-dryer...NOT AT FULL HEAT. As the heat develops the material can be GENTLY pulled apart and the curtain extended - this does however create a problem for those with uniform MkII-sized shelving! And if one finds that the curtain turns out to be damaged it can be gently pushed, whilst still warm, back into its hiding place.

As Mr Lid states, they're not commonly found on army helmets...and during our book research, we heard a number of people had assumed they were a purpose-made bit of kit for the Fire Service - we believe that was purely coincidental as that's where they crop up most in war time pictures. They're also partially responsible for miscoloured helmets where the rim is a different shade / colour to the rest of the helmet....sometimes folk simply touched-up/repainted the visible bit which was fine until the curtain came off.