Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'

Article about: Hello folks. A new addition to my collection of Home Front helmets, bringing it up to a grand total of two. Have been after a bog standard warden's helmet for a while, and have finally manag

Default Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'

Hello folks.

A new addition to my collection of Home Front helmets, bringing it up to a grand total of two. Have been after a bog standard warden's helmet for a while, and have finally managed to find one. Overall, this one is in fantastic condition, and has the added benefit of being named.

The shell is of commonly seen BMB manufacturer, for Briggs Motor Bodies, Dagenham. The last number of the date is obscured, but at a guess dates the shell to 1938. This would match the liner, a 'VERO I' size 7. No idea what the 'C5' indicates.
    Most of the paint remains on the shell, and where it has chipped or worn away there is little to no sign of active rust. The 'W' motifs are very worn but visible. The chinstrap is in great shape as well, remaining fully elasticated and free of wear and tear.

Interestingly, this helmet not only has the owner's name on the brim - a common find with Home Front helmets - but also has multiple service numbers. Some scratched into the metal, others neatly painted on. The majority of these are a mystery to me. AFS would be the Auxiliary Fire Service. and ARP is self-explanatory. 'DI' and 'RC', on the other hand, I haven't been able to figure out. It seems that J. Russell was a member of multiple civilian services. The 'DI.A' at the end of his name is another little mystery.

Also of note are the initials on the chinstrap, although the J appears to be backwards. This helmet and liner have clearly been together for its entire lifespan. A nice 'untouched' Home Front lid.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'   Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'  

Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'   Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'  

I like that one. I've seen helmets with names/numbers painted in that style before.

Regards

Martin

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    I like that one. I've seen helmets with names/numbers painted in that style before.

Regards

Martin
    Thank you. Would you have any idea what the other service numbers might pertain to?

B.B.

Coming at this one from a slightly different angle. I wondered whether the attached might possibly be your owner, assuming the lid came from London/West Ham.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Coming at this one from a slightly different angle. I wondered whether the attached might possibly be your owner, assuming the lid came from London/West Ham.

It was purchased from a small local dealer, so it's more likely than not that this helmet was used in or near London. I'd always thought the ARP records were destroyed or lost postwar. This is a nice information find, and a nice surprise. Thanks for digging it up.

B.B.

Hi Brodiebartfast,
    The topic below should be of interest to you.

1939 UK Register as a research tool for Civil Defence Members

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Hi Brodiebartfast,
    The topic below should be of interest to you.

1939 UK Register as a research tool for Civil Defence Members
    Thanks for the link. I wish I'd found that thread sooner.

B.B.

I have only just posted the topic today, but it is more of a sticky/signpost really. It's not a fast fix as rarely are Civilian helmets named with any more than an initial and surname. The odds are still long and sadly the registry will not include data on the NFS/ARP/Police/Warden/AFS numbers that are found inside the helmet rim. But its a starting point.