Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Article about: I have always wondered why these helmets are nearly always in un-issued condition, & reading the information that Mick supplied now know why. These S.A helmets were made from 1940-45, ro

SMP
    ?

Can't find any photos of the polo helmets with flaps , but here are some photos of the polo helmets themselves.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

?

I think the flap shown in your picture Jerry, is for the sun helmet and not the steel helmet.
    The holes don't line up for one thing, but gives an idea of what they might have looked like if they had ever made them.

Interesting that the polo helmets shown appear to be the pressed paper Hawley type and not the more tradional pith type, though they clearly show the holes for the flap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

SMP
    ?

Unofficial flap ( just for interests sake ) plus a very small photo of polo helmets with neck flaps in wear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Mk2 South African Union Defence Force. 

Here's a pic I found ex ebay well over a decade ago of what could be the neck flap??

I have had a passing interest in the South African MkII for what is now decades since I first learnt that such a variant existed. I don't really know why, maybe because it was a combat helmet and a definate variant rather than a home front helmet (nothing against that area of collocting at all!) or another vague international difference. At every show I attended I would pay attention to scores of MkII helmets just to see if I could spot "the odd one out". Anyway, as my interest was picqued by this thread I have now added one to my unintentionally growing "helmet section" and I show it here for any and all opinions. It appears as many of these do to be unissued and the blemishes it now bears appear due to the rigours of less than perfect storage. The textured paint inside and out appears to cover a much lighter beige or sand colour which seems to be the original shade and the liner bolt is in the usual "reversed" position.. The liner itself in excellent condition is dated 1942 which from the information given at the top of this thread seems to add to the idea of this one being unissued. The light brown material adherred to the liner is actually remains of the brown paper in which helmets were wrapped when stacked for storage in warehouses. The suggestion that the neck flap was never actually taken into service makes perfect sence as it would have been just one more irritation that the average "Tom" would have just "lost" in the sand! I think that also contributes to the fact that many people even experienced collectors mistake the holes in the brim as indicating a home front helmet (three holes in the brim equals non-combat grade right?).
    I like this one as another curiosty in the collection that adds bulk or background to the mostly badges and medals.

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Many years ago (c35-40?) Blunderbuss Antiques in London were knocking out a whole load of SA desert-painted lids just like this one.....with the brown paper still inside....and some foolish upstarts.....ahem....like me.....tore the paper out to see what the crown pad was like.....and now I have an almost identical lid with the brown paper only remaining on the head band........

?

Nice clean unissued one Mark.
    As can be seen, when painting, dabbing the brush give a textured look, just on the outside and on the inside of the brim.
    And then into storage.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Thanks for the replies, I think I was fortunete with this one as the seller had it as just another "Tommy helmet" and I had the distinct impression that the holes in the brim were being conveniently ignored.

Regards

Mark
    PS I did find another for very little money that has had an appaling post-war coat of civilian dark green gloss so it will be a testbed for paint removal and restoration. If it works out I will show before and after pics.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There is a green example with a belgian looking liner on ebay, post war reissue I assume
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast