Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Article about: I have always wondered why these helmets are nearly always in un-issued condition, & reading the information that Mick supplied now know why. These S.A helmets were made from 1940-45, ro

?

When I saw it for sale, it looked like it was sand colour over painted green, but it is just good honest grime and wear.
    Certainly better than the more common sand coloured ones.

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    When I saw it for sale, it looked like it was sand colour over painted green, but it is just good honest grime and wear.
    Certainly better than the more common sand coloured ones.
    I know what you mean. I had to look closely, and just to be sure I wet my finger and wiped a bit off !

Che bello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morning everyone,
    I add to this interesting thread, this SA Mk2 helmet, it is a local find that I made in the north-western Italy area.
    In particular, the area of the discovery was garrisoned until 1946 by the 13th Motorized Brigade of the 6th Armored South African Division, in the function of occupation troops.
    It is only a hint, but I cannot say that there is a connection with this fact.
    The helmet is painted textured green, but a British Mk2 liner dated 1942, and an Mk3 chinstrap were mounted on it.
    From the traces of wear and the patina present, this operation seems to have been done at the time of its use.

Regards
    Roberto

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

SMP
    ?

Anything is possible. It is clear that the liner and strap have been swapped. It all comes down to when. Did it come from a collector/dealer, or was it found out of the woodwork?
    The UDF green paint is great.

Quote by SMP View Post
    Anything is possible. It is clear that the liner and strap have been swapped. It all comes down to when. Did it come from a collector/dealer, or was it found out of the woodwork?
    The UDF green paint is great.
    I found it in the warehouse of a second-hand dealer, there was everything, the only military item was this.

SMP
    ?

A link worth reading:

THE SOUTH AFRICAN STEEL HELMET MARK I * – Ditsong Museums of South Africa

Note the first batch of 60,000 didn't have the three holes in the rim, and most of these got sent back to Britain.
    Last edited by SMP; 09-14-2022 at 07:01 PM.

SMP
    ?

Cool

At long last I have one: 1940 in UDF green with its original net.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.   Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

?

Thanks for showing. Brilliant!!
    For psycopis, Mk2 type chin strap lugs, 17mm wide x 21mm. (to the best I could manage)
    British Mk2 lugs 19mm x 28.5mm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.  

Thanks Aaron

Also my us the same hook (whit a burr, tool problem?)
    Problably is a first varation type os SA hooks?

Mk2 South African Union Defence Force.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast